Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Rain, The Park & Other Things

Journal Entry from Volume 48:

Thursday August 4th 2011,


8:07 pm - The family photos were scheduled to be taken today; originally it was planned for 6 pm, but concerns about the unpredictable weather (plus the fact that it rains so often) led to a decision to have the photos taken earlier, at 4 pm. That was the plan…

…The rains came down and it turned into a major rainstorm. Things did not bode well for the family photos, but at 4 everyone was here at the house, and so we left for the park, where we would meet up with the photographer. Josh sent a humorous text message to everyone - “I love a rainy night!” When we arrived at the park Josh sang the song I Love A Rainy Night followed by Singin’ In The Rain

…Just about everyone brought an umbrella, so we shared umbrellas to trek to the part of the park for the photos. Everyone braved the cold and wet - almost everyone wore short-sleeved shirts; all of the nieces wore the beautiful dresses made by Mom; and the nephews wore shorts. Bless all their little hearts…


Josh and Karen and Family
Daniel and Jaimee and Family
Erin and Jordan
Jerry and Julie

…Luckily there was some shelter at the park, so we were able to get out of the rain for a little while, as the nice photographer worked on setting up and planning out the photos. She went right to work on getting people ready, with individual families being photographed first...


Me and...myself

...When it was my turn she asked if anyone would be standing with me and I said it was just me. At the time this seemed matter-of-fact, but as I reflect on this I can’t help but feel a little regret…

The family united
"Under my umbrella-ella-ella-a-a..."
 
…The big family photo was saved for the last, and by this time we were all drenched! The kids had pretty much reached the end of their ropes, feeling tired, wet and cold! Bless their hearts! But eventually we all managed to pull off fake smiles for the camera. Then we were able to return to our cars, shelter from the storm, warmth for ourselves inside the car! At least the family photos have been taken! We won’t have to worry about them again for awhile…

1 comment:

  1. I still "Love a rainy night" and despite what Mom thought was a disaster, I had a blast!

    Thanks for being willing to skip up to the top of the hill "singing in the rain" with me! :)

    ReplyDelete