Thursday, June 16, 2011

“Company….Lots of Company…Life is Company…Love is Company”

I’ve posted before about how much I enjoy musicals. I’ve seen several different musicals here in Colorado Springs and in Denver. I’ve also been able to see musical productions on TV. A few years ago I watched a musical on PBS (now, why I was watching PBS of all channels I have no answer) - it was a taped performance of Stephen Sondheim’s Company. I had heard about this musical (which originated on Broadway over 40 years ago) and that there had been a revival of it on Broadway. Anyway, I happened to watch this performance during the opening song, appropriately entitled “Company” and I was immediately hooked. The music, the lyrics and the performances all had a great affect on me and I thoroughly enjoyed this musical!

But there was another reason I enjoyed this production: the story/plot. The main character is a man named Robert, a single man in his mid-30s, who is surrounded by married friends. Robert’s friends all want him to settle down and marry, although they don’t always represent marriage in a positive light. Robert is conflicted about marriage, finding excuse after excuse to not be married. I am able to identify with this character; I am in my mid-30s (well, technically I’m now on the other half of my 30s) and single, and I am surrounded by people who are married, specifically my family (they are my friends) and they are all married. And like Robert, I have been able to regularly observe the many different aspects of marriage and I’ve often compiled a list of the pros and the cons. Anyway, at the end of the musical Robert realizes that he does want to be married and performs the song “Being Alive” in which he concludes that being alone is not the same as being alive.


Last night at the movies I was able to see a filmed performance of Company, starring Neil Patrick Harris (as Robert). It was a unique experience because this is not your typical summer movie. My mom wanted to see this, so we went to the Chapel Hills Mall theater (love those digital screens!) I didn’t realize just how expensive the tickets were (as Mom bought them - I took care of the snacks) until I looked at my ticket stub: $18.00 per ticket!! I couldn’t believe it, I mean this wasn’t even a 3-D movie (and those usually cost between $10 and $12). Then again, theater tickets for plays and musicals are rather pricey, so maybe that explains it.




Despite the outrageous cost (note to self: I need to pay Mom back!) my mom and I loved the movie! The entire cast was superb, especially Neil Patrick Harris. It was a great experience, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that there were actually other people there. Not a huge turnout, but certainly more than I expected. I guess Mom and I weren’t the only people looking for a little culture last night!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting ... I wonder how many of my experiences are on the list of pros and cons you have mentally made. I hope lots more on the pro-side! :)

    ReplyDelete