…continuing from yesterday’s post, I had mentioned that I had a “shared” graduation party with my sister Jaimee. My community college graduation was on June 9th 1995, whereas Jaimee’s high school graduation was just a few days earlier.
Jaimee graduated from Greeley Central High School on Saturday June 3rd 1995. And her graduation ceremony also took place out on the football field. The weather turned a bit gray, cloudy and it almost rained (as I can remember), but that did not prevent the graduation from happening.
Jaimee, looking so
beautiful as she poses
with her diploma. Her
bandaged finger is
well-hidden.
The day before graduation Jaimee had an unfortunate accident. She accidentally slammed her hand while closing the front door of our house and broke one of her fingers. As a result, she had her finger bandaged up, and it was in such a way that it almost looked like she was “flipping the bird!” But did this stop Jaimee from attending her graduation?! Heck no! She went and made the family swell with pride and admiration! It was a great ceremony! The whole family was there, along with several friends and Jaimee’s boyfriend (at the time) Mike.
I don’t remember a single thing about the ceremony, but I do remember afterwards, when all of the families and friends came down from the bleachers out onto the football field to greet/congratulate the Class of ’95. Music played in the background, and one of the songs playing was the original version of that memorable song…“Macarena” - oh, gosh that just sent shivers down my spine!
Well, after the graduation there was a big party planned at our house, and Jaimee was very sweet to let it be a combined party for her high school graduation and my community college graduation. We had a shared cake, with half for me and the other half for Jaimee. I look back on that now and realize just how sweet and selfless Jaimee was. In fairness, it really should have just been for her, as it was HER big day (and my graduation wasn’t for another couple of days). And you only graduate from high school once, right? Yet, I don’t remember Jaimee ever complaining or demanding that the day be all about her. I just hope that I didn’t invariably/inadvertently steal her thunder.
Lots of friends came over to the graduation party, and it was a great success! And at this time I would like to acknowledge Jaimee and her willingness to share her big day with me!
Thanks so much Jaimee!! It was an honor to be able to be a member of the Class Of ‘95 with you!!




I remember joking with Jaimee about flipping the bird to all of her classmates by waving at them as she got her diploma. Of course that's not what she did, but I thought it would have been cool if she had! :)
ReplyDelete