Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Something To Talk About

It’s one of those inevitable things in life: like a tax audit, a root canal, a traffic ticket, a jury duty summons. I lucked out and didn’t have to deal with any of these things this week [knock on wood!], but I did have to face something that I sort of dread, that I’m relieved I have managed to avoid by the end of each year. And what is it, you ask? Oh, go on and ask!

Public speaking!

Specifically, public speaking in church. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have the opportunity or “blessing” (depending on your spiritual attitude) to speak in the first church meeting of our 3 hour block. It’s called giving a talk, which is like a sermon, and it can be a very exciting or daunting experience (once again, depending on your attitude).

I’ve given talks before (I was 12 years-old when I gave my first talk), and I’ve never had a problem or issue. I’ve been nervous each and every time, but in the end I would be able to finish what I started. I’ve never passed out, I’ve never lost my notes. So why do I always feel nervous? Why do I always worry and panic beforehand?





This time around I was particularly nervous, even though I had a great topic: honoring our parents. I was able to find several scriptures to reference and I found several different magazine articles and quotes. The talk practically wrote itself. And yet, I had a few sleepless/restless nights leading up to Sunday. I had bizarre dreams, I had nervous/queasy knots tied up in my stomach, and I found myself bemoaning my situation. Why me? Why did I agree to this?


And then the moment came: I was the first speaker (my one consolation, that I’d be able to get this over with and then relax for the remainder of the meeting!) I stood up at the podium, had a flashback to my previous experiences with public speaking (giving talks in church, speeches in school). I remembered the importance of standing up straight, gripping the podium for support, looking out to the audience…and then I saw my parents, both smiling at me. And that was all it took! I felt a peace surge through me as I started to speak.

Seeing my parents out in the audience helped me focus on the topic at hand, and I wanted to do a great job and make my parents feel proud of me. Seeing my dad and mom smile at me during the talk helped me feel at ease, as if I was just talking to them and no one else. I finished my talk in just the right amount of time (15 minutes) and when I sat down I felt such relief and accomplishment!

Dad and Mom both gave me great compliments afterwards, and I received a few compliments from other people. I was very grateful, not just for the kind words from everyone but for the fact that I was blessed (once again). I was able to get through a very intimidating, worrisome situation and not make a complete fool of myself (nor of my parents). I can relax and know that I won’t be needed to speak in church again for the rest of this year…as for next year, well, that remains to be seen…and that will be something to talk about!

1 comment:

  1. I think almost everyone has fears related to public speaking. I know it never really paralyzes me, but I still get a little nervouse each time before I speak. Congrats on successfully speaking ... but shame on you for not letting me know so I could come and silently cheer you on! :)

    ReplyDelete