On Tuesday night I saw another summer movie, one that I had been very anxious about seeing on the big screen - X-Men: First Class. I enjoyed the previous X-Men movies (my favorite was X2: X-Men United) and had high hopes for this movie, as it was a prequel: this film is about the origins of Erik Lensherr/Magneto and Charles Xavier/Professor X and the X-Men themselves.
I have to admit that I have never read the comic series, so I don’t have the same knowledge and understanding of the series as that of a devoted reader/fan/purist (like my cousin Matt). So, my opinion of this movie may be hindered by the fact that I don’t know the full history of X-Men, that I don’t know the characters’ origins and storylines, so I won’t be able to compare/contrast the performances with the established characteristics. I don’t know what is “true to form” and what is blatantly “out-of-character.”
Sebastian Shaw and Emma Frost
The majority of the film takes place in 1962, during the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis. The film portrays this event as being instigated/manipulated by a man called Sebastian Shaw (played by Kevin Bacon), who is a Mutant - he has the ability to absorb energy forces and then utilize them. It goes without saying that he is extremely powerful and dangerous. Shaw is being hunted down by a man called Erik Lensherr (played by Michael Fassbender); Lensherr was once a prisoner in a Nazi concentration camp and Shaw was responsible for the death of his mother. Lensherr meets up with Charles Xavier (played by James McEvoy) during his quest for vengeance and soon the two team up to go against Shaw and his troupe of evil Mutants (which include Emma Frost and Riptide).
Lensherr/Magneto, Banshee, Xavier/Professor X, Moira,
Raven/Mystique and Havok
Xavier, Xavier’s protégé Raven/Mystique (played by Jennifer Lawrence) and Lensherr begin recruiting their own group of Mutants (which include Hank McCoy/Beast, Banshee and Havok), and receive assistance from a beautiful CIA operative (played by Rose Byrne). Xavier works with the new Mutants to help harness and successfully utilize their amazing powers, and tries to keep Lensherr from letting his powers overcome him.
I was in awe at the way the story unfolded; from the chilling, disturbing opening scenes in the Nazi concentration camp to the thoroughly entertaining scenes in which each Mutant is introduced. And there were 2 very memorable cameos featured (one of which - without giving anything away - was of an extremely popular Mutant who appeared in the previous X-Men movies!)
The actors were perfect in their roles: Michael Fassbender brought a whole new dimension to Lensherr/Magneto - in this movie you actually root for him, ache for him and understand his anger and need for revenge. James McEvoy brings a more playful, charming side to the traditionally stoic Xavier/Professor X. Kevin Bacon successfully speaks at least 4 different languages in this movie and is a grand villain. Jennifer Lawrence’s performance was excellent and has me anxious to see her in the upcoming movie The Hunger Games.
1962? Really?
There were just a few aspects to the movie with which I struggled: the main issue I had was the fact that the movie was supposed to take place in 1962. While the sets, technology, cars and attitudes were appropriate to the era the wardrobe/hairstyles weren’t always true to the era. Specifically, most of the female characters wear mini-skirts, which was a popular trend in the 1960s, but not until at least 1965 (here in the states, at least.) And the younger mutants Banshee and Havok sported hairstyles that resemble today’s pop stars, rather than those of the early 1960s. More Justin Bieber than Elvis Presley.
Also, I would have preferred there to be more hand-to-hand combat (or power-against-power battles) between the X-Men and Shaw’s Mutants, specifically during the Big Battle towards the end of the movie. It left me wanting more…although, now that I think about it, that was probably the intention of the filmmakers. Hello sequel!!
Still, this was a great summer movie!! So, from me X-Men: First Class gets a:





That might be my favorite X-Men movie.
ReplyDeleteGood review, I agree with a lot of what you were saying. The movies do not follow the comics at all but the general feel of the books is captured extremely well.
Another one I really want to see (even more with your positive review!)
ReplyDelete