I'm working hard (or is that hardly working?) - May 1997
My 14th blog entry! And with the number 14 on my mind I am reminded that it was over 14 years ago that I started my job with the USRA (United States Racquetball Association). Yes, I worked in the realm of racquetball, although it should come as no surprise that I was never a racquetball player; in fact, I knew zilch about the sport when I started and fortunately for me it was not a prerequisite to be a racquetball expert or even a racquetball player!
I began my employment at USRA (which was originally called AARA when I was first hired) in January 1996 and my main responsibility was data entry. I sat in the main reception area with the receptionist, where I would do my data entry as well as help the receptionist answer the phone, take messages, transfer calls and handle other administrative responsibilities. With the data entry, I had to enter new and renewing memberships for the bi-monthly magazine that was published (called Racquetball Magazine, naturally!), tournament results, tournament entrants, a tournament calendar and a player’s ranking list for the magazine and new and renewing memberships for racquetball players. It was a lot of typing, but I was able to work at my own pace (as long as the work got done, since it was my responsibility and mine alone). It was very satisfying and comfortable.
My desk all nice and organized - June 1996
Regarding Racquetball Magazine, one of the cool perks of being on the staff at USRA was that I got a free subscription to the magazine, which was a really cool magazine! And in the front of the magazine was a section that listed the entire staff of USRA, which meant that my name was published in a national magazine! Wow! I made it! In addition to publishing a magazine USRA also sold clothing merchandise: t-shirts, sweat shirts, jackets. And as an employee I would often get these items for free (love the free stuff!) And these were nice, high-quality clothing items; in fact, I would often purchase them and give them to family members as birthday presents.
In 2001 I was promoted to Office Manager; I retained my original responsibilities and took on a whole new set of responsibilities, which included handling the weekly deposits, monthly office supply orders and overseeing the reception area. And while I enjoyed the new challenges and duties I began to feel a need to try something new.
My last year at USRA - do I look burned out?
I left USRA in December 2001, and a month later I was hired on at Progressive Insurance (more on that in a future blog entry…) My decision to leave was hard, scary, but in the end a wise and rewarding choice! No regrets! Well, maybe one regret…I still have never learned the sport of racquetball, and I’ve yet to play it. Oh, but I did figure out that racquetball is not the same as badminton!
Still, to this day, Daniel's favorite piece of clothing was that gray USRA sweatshirt you got him... he was wearing it in the picture when he had purple hair and he got all sentimental when he saw it! I loved going to visit you as USRA.
ReplyDeleteYou left Tyler and USRA to come work with me at Progressive, by far one of the wisest choices you made ; )
ReplyDeleteI played raquetball with my mom and dad growing up, so if you ever decide you wanna play, let me know. I might even let you win a game : P