Tuesday, June 29, 2010

“What Is Art? Are We Art? Is Art Art?"

Day 26




I’ve been brave and posted some of my journal writings, which is fitting since I enjoy writing. And I have also mentioned that I enjoy art, specifically drawing, so today I want to share some of my drawings, past and present. I was feeling a little hesitant about sharing these drawings, but then I figured ‘what the hey?’ If you like ‘em, great. If you don’t, well then a pox on you! Just kidding!


Anyway, in 11th grade I took an art class and I loved it! I received a great deal of encouragement and direction. As for this particular drawing, it was a great experience for me because this drawing was chosen by my teacher to be featured in an art exhibit, along with artwork from other students her other classes. Sadly, I never went to the exhibit to see this drawing on display, my art among other art.


Also in 11th grade I drew this picture, which was sketched from an old photo of my house in Rigby, Idaho. I loved this picture, even though it wasn’t quite accurate with the dimensions, perspective and lines. I loved this house and not just because of the great memories I had from it. It really was a beautiful home, unique and distinctive!


Through the years I doodled, sketched here and there, just for casual fun. Personal art for just one patron - me! These faces were drawn a month ago, when I had some time to myself and just felt like letting the pencil skate on the paper for awhile. I love drawing people; sometimes they are representative of characters in my unwritten novels, while other times they are just people I may have seen at one time or another that stir around in my memories.

I feel like I did a fair job with these drawings, although I’m not foolish enough to think it’s anywhere near genius. Then again, art is different to everyone, and what one person sees as brilliant another person sees as paper and doodles or vice versa.

What is art? Who knows? I guess art is whatever fits your own definition, your own criteria, because everyone is capable of being a critic and everyone is capable of finding and seeing the beauty in the world and appreciating it. Different strokes (as in brush strokes) for different folks…

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff! The best part about seeing other people do art is that it makes me want to do some art as well. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete