Thursday, June 24, 2010

I Remember…Being Stuck On Stickers!

Day 21

I have this sticker - and it still smells like jelly beans! Yummy!

In yesterday’s post I mentioned having a green folder with a banana scratch ‘n’ sniff sticker on it, and this inspired today’s blog entry…OK, the truth is I was in need of a topic; I was really lacking in the creativity department, so I decided to just pull something out of a previous post, and what I pulled out was…stickers (how appropriate!)

Stickers. I remember that stickers were one of the “in” things in the 1980s; people would collect them, trade them, decorate their folders/books/lockers/book bags with them. And stickers were readily available. You’d get them with your trading cards (baseball, movies, TV shows), you’d get them from your teacher as a reward, you’d find them as a prize in cereal boxes (and being the “cereal junkie” that I was, I scored lots and lots of stickers!)

A collectors' album...ooh, how official.
In fourth grade I got a sticker book from a book order, so that I could start organizing and building up my collection of stickers. I loved the “puffy” stickers, particularly because they were easy to peel off and move around on the sticker book pages. But my favorite kind of stickers were the scratch ‘n’ sniff ones! These were so cool! Imagine being able to scratch a sticker of a pizza and then smell the pizza: the cheese and pepperoni! It made my mouth water! Or how about the sticker of popcorn that actually smelled like freshly popped popcorn?! Again, this made my mouth water! It would be mighty tempting to try and eat the sticker, but I’m happy to say that I only tried this a couple of times…20 at the most!

Stickers from movies and cartoon shows were also a favorite of mine! These were awesome! I loved stickers from Star Wars and He-Man! Even the Cabbage Patch Kids were cool…especially since they paved the way for the ultimate in stickers: the Garbage Pail Kids!! Gross, disgusting, crudely funny stickers (just the kind a boy would like!) I’ll be posting a blog entry specifically about these stickers at a later date.

From my sticker collectors' album - notice that I have '13'
as the day of the week, not the date...OY!!
I was stuck on stickers! A fun, harmless hobby that upon reflection was also pretty pointless. Once the stickers were stuck they usually stayed stuck but would eventually be ripped and peeled away into oblivion! But they stuck around long enough to be enjoyed!

2 comments:

  1. I loved those old puffy stickers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had such flashbacks seeing that collector's album... I want to look through it. I loved collecting stickers, but you had the BEST collection! :)

    ReplyDelete