Wednesday, October 20, 2010

“Do You Hear The People Sing?”

Day 139



I am a big fan of musicals, and Les Miserables is one of my favorites. The score is full of such riveting, stirring, emotional, powerful songs that I will often find myself getting chills all over whenever I listen to the score! And it always feels like a once-in-a-lifetime experience, even when you experience repeatedly!


My experience with Les Miserables began with the 10th Anniversary Concert that was shown on TV several years ago. I watched it with Mom and we both just loved it! Naturally, Mom had to buy the CD that came out afterwards, followed by the DVD (so we could watch it again!) But then there was the opportunity to see it live, on stage!


I had the opportunity to see a live production of Les Miz (as it is called in the biz…hey I rhymed!) when it was performed here in Colorado Springs at the Pikes Peak Center--exactly 11 years ago today, as a matter of fact! This was actually a birthday gift for my mom from my dad, but since he wasn’t really in the mood to attend a musical I was able to go in his place; and I was so glad for the chance to see this!


I had heard many of the songs before but I was unfamiliar with the text/story of the musical. The program provided to us when we arrived really helped out, though. And what an amazing story!! Jean Valjean, Javert, Fantine, Cosette, Eponine, Marius - an array of complex, multi-faceted characters living in France during the 1820s and 30s. And then there are the numerous themes addressed throughout the musical: love, redemption, forgiveness, compassion, sacrifice, and faith in God. There was an overall positive message in this musical!

And then there is the music - I don’t know how else to describe it, other than that it was absolutely mesmerizing and uplifting, full of such meaning and a sense of inspiration. Where to begin with the songs? My favorites include: “I Dreamed A Dream”, “On My Own”, “Bring Him Home”, “One Day More” and “Do You Hear The People Sing?”, but the rest of the score is just as superb.

I’m so glad that I have been able to see (on DVD), hear (on CD) and attend Les Miz!

1 comment:

  1. Les Mis is one of my favorite too. I saw it in Salt Lake and also in New York and I was swept away by the scope and music.

    ReplyDelete