“It’s time to try defying gravity.”
I had the great opportunity to see another Broadway-based musical in Denver, Wicked, with my mom; but this time my brother Jordan and his wife Erin were also in attendance with us. The more the merrier!
I had heard many great things about this musical and had even heard one or two songs from the score. But otherwise this was a new experience. Me and my family drove up to Denver, leaving in plenty of time so we would be able to have dinner before the show. We went to dinner at The Cheesecake Factory, where we enjoyed a delicious meal. I felt rather sophisticated, dressed up and dining out with some of my family.
This was the 4th time Mom and I had been to the Buell Theatre, and we were a lot more familiar with the surroundings and the directions so we didn’t get lost. We arrived in plenty of time to get a decent parking place and were able to stroll around the Performing Arts center before the show began. I loved to see the variety of people there; some were dressed to the “nines” in tuxedos and formals, while other people were wearing regular “everyday” clothes. As for me and my family we were in “business casual” attire. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
Then it was time for Wicked to begin; the lights dimmed and the orchestra began to play. The musical is a prequel to The Wizard of Oz and concerns the meeting of Glinda the Good Witch of the North and Elphaba the Wicked Witch of the West and their unlikely friendship. Elphaba is not wicked at this point, but because of her green skin she is often mocked, ridiculed or just plain despised. And this eventually leads to her being labeled “wicked” and treated like a pariah by the people in Emerald City.
There were some truly awesome effects throughout the musical and some very memorable, beautiful songs. My favorites were “Popular” (which Glinda sings to Elphaba while they are in school) and “Defying Gravity” - a beautiful duet between Glinda and Elphaba.
I had a really good time and I was glad that Jordan and Erin were able to be there. I’d love it if all of my family would attend the theater together, but I can understand that this isn’t for all tastes and interests.


No comments:
Post a Comment