Day 125
Today is my nephew Josh Jr’s 11th birthday - Happy Birthday!! It’s hard to believe that in another year he will be 12!! Where does the time go?! And why does it slip away when it comes to children growing up?
Anyway, I’d like to share portions of my journal entry from the day of Josh Jr’s birth - [VOLUME 23: July 21st 1999 - January 4th 2000]:
Wednesday October 6th 1999,
11:08pm - At 8:50pm, Joshua Robert Junior came into this world, surrounded by so many loved ones, each grateful that this miracle moment had finally come. It’s official - my brother is a father! My sister-in-law is a mother! My parents are grandparents! I’m an uncle! At this point nothing else matters. I am in awe, feeling such peach and happiness…
…Mom was at the hospital with just about everyone, waiting for the blessed arrival. After that, I felt restless with anticipation. Dad came home a little after 7, and Jordan came next. The three of us talked about the soon-to-be-new addition. The birth of a new generation…
…Around 9:15 Josh called. He gave the news we’d been dying to hear. Dad talked with Josh for a bit, and then we were all ready to head out and greet the newest member of our family. It was a clear night, with a brief sprinkle of rain. It was a warm night, slightly breezy, with hints of autumn…
…We visited with Mom a bit, who told us how proud she was of Karen. Karen endured her first experience with child birth like a pro. Josh then visited with us a bit. He seemed very mature, leaving no doubts in my mind that he will be an awesome father. After a few minutes we were all able to go into the room. I crept in, feeling a need to be reverent, as if I were entering a temple. I noticed how healthy Karen looked, almost as if she hadn’t actually delivered a baby…
…Then the attention was turned to the star of the show - “Junior” rested in Josh’s arms. Upon looking at him, I saw the most beautiful baby boy I have seen in ages. I’m serious! Pink and rosy-looking, with gorgeous large eyes (blue at the moment, and could stay this way), a perky nose and a cute chin…
…He didn’t cry at all, despite the onslaught of strangers-soon-to-be-family. I held my nephew for a few minutes, feeling so overwhelmed. Such a precious time that was all too brief. Joshua Robert Junior paves the way for the next generation of Cases.


Wow! I am deeply touched by your pignant words. How little we all knew that Josh Jr would be the first of 6 "Case" and 2 "Shepard" grandkids/nephews and nieces.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the beautiful write up.
So sweet. I love reading what you wrote in your journal about the day. My children are so lucky to such a great Uncle. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete