Sunday, October 17, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Day 136
This was taken a few years after we moved away -
the house still looks beautiful!

In the summer of 1986 my family and I moved from Orem, Utah to a different city and state. Welcome to Rigby, Idaho - “the birthplace of television”, seriously! Philo T. Farnsworth, the inventor of television, was born here. How ironic that when my family moved here we had to get a satellite dish installed in order to be able to watch Cable TV. Go figure!

Anyway, Rigby was a very small town (How small? It had ONE streetlight!) and our new house was located in a very secluded part of town. There was a lot of space between houses, so neighbors seemed more like residents of a nearby town. But there was something so ideal about having such privacy.




Our home in Rigby was so beautiful, so distinctive. An ‘A’ frame home, with a long wooden pathway from the front door, and an even longer driveway that stretched for quite a distance to our mailbox and the main road. There was an attractive deck at the back of the house (which my dad later built additions to), a hot tub just off of the one side of the house, and then there was the peaceful, melodic river dry bed behind the house. There were also several tall, majestic trees that populated the back of the house. These trees provided perfect seclusion and protection for us.


The front yard was absolutely huge!! Practically the size of a baseball diamond, or at least the right size for a friendly baseball game. The house was made of this deep brown, sweet-smelling cedar wood. Inside the house I remember I would just love to breathe it all in (this was way better than any store-bought potpourri).

I did this watercolor picture of the house in 11th grade

To this day I think this was one of the most beautiful homes ever built. And even though my family lived here for almost 3 years this house made such an impression on me and it will forever remain etched in my memories!

2 comments:

  1. This post just took me back... I loved living there in the country and 'exploring' with you and Josh and Jordan. Remember that field we'd go to where there were like old bathtubs and stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the loft. It was such a neat home.

    ReplyDelete