Sunday, October 10, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Day 129


In 1978 me and my family moved from Caldwell, Idaho to Orem, Utah. I was 3 at the time and at this age my memories were definitely clear and vivid. I remember our first day in the new house, sitting on the floor in our empty living room, eating our breakfast food from McDonald’s.


The home in Orem: I loved this house and have so many great and happy memories of this place. Where to begin, where to begin…


This house had a really cool deck, over the garage, with a great view of the neighborhood. To me the deck seemed so big, so expanded. Me and my siblings were able to ride our Big Wheels around the deck, like a mini-race track! At one point we had a picnic table on the deck and we would have occasional get-togethers, like barbecues and birthday parties. There was a long staircase from the deck down to the patio in the backyard. I used to pretend that this was the staircase in a big mansion and the backyard was the main floor.


Speaking of the backyard, our backyard had a cool garden that would seem like a mini-forest whenever we had corn stalks. It would be fun to run around the garden and hide behind the corn stalks. Also in the backyard we had an awesome sandbox, built by Dad, that had a ladder leading up to a roof. I loved that this provided shade and kept the sandbox cool, especially in the summer. The backyard was large enough that we could have a swing set and a badminton set.


The front yard of the house was absolutely beautiful. There was a flower bed in front of the house and at one time we had a peach tree planted there. There was another flower bed planted around the lamppost in front of the house. I remember I used to dangle from the post. At the corner of the house was a large rock and a wagon wheel was set up alongside it. This rock was so much fun to play on!


I remember that me and my siblings would often play outside of the house in and around the places I’ve mentioned. The outside was a perfect place to unleash our imaginations. I love and miss our old house in Orem!

No comments:

Post a Comment