Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Read Any Good Books Lately?

Day 131



Just a week or two ago I finished reading the last book in a trilogy written by Suzanne Collins. My sister-in-law Erin recommended these books to me (thanks Erin!!) and she was right to do so, because I loved reading them!! I love reading book series, like Harry Potter, the Twilight series, etc. And The Hunger Games series is a new favorite for me!

If you haven’t read these books I would highly recommend that you give them a try, because they are exciting, fascinating, captivating and quick reads! The main character in these books is a 16 year-old girl named Katniss Everdeen, living with her younger sister and mother in the future, in a nation that has survived a nuclear war and is now divided up into 12 districts and ruled by one large realm called The Capitol. The first book deals with an annual event called “the reaping” in which one boy and one girl from each district is randomly selected to compete in something called The Hunger Games - in essence, a fight to the death. Only one person will live in the end. And those competing are between the ages of 12 and 18!

I don’t want to give anymore information away, other than to explain that Katniss volunteers to compete in The Hunger Games in the place of her younger sister and thus begins a long, amazing, challenging journey and fight for survival! Each book chronicles the experiences of Katniss, her male friend Gale and her counterpart in The Hunger Games, a guy named Peeta.

The books are full of vivid descriptions of the battles that take place during The Hunger Games (sometimes in rather gruesome, but still fascinating details) and the events that happen outside of the games. Let’s just say that there seems to be a revolution cooking up in some of the districts and a plan to overthrow the evil Capitol!

I love, love, love futuristic/apocalyptic stories and The Hunger Games series fits right in. But don’t take my word for it…check these books out for yourself!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to be the last person on Earth that hasn't read those. ;)

    ReplyDelete