Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I Remember…Being A Scout

Day 146

NOTE: Let me just say that I have complete respect and admiration for the Scout Program, for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and all the rest. I know that there are numerous attributes and contributions associated with these groups; there are many valuable lessons and experiences gleaned from being involved in these groups (as a scout or as a leader); the Scout Program is revered, commended and celebrated by people in all walks of life (from parents to politicians, from working class to world leaders), and all of it is completely justified…

That said, I must point out that--like anything else in the world--some things just aren’t for everyone - and the Scout program was definitely not for me.

I don’t remember how I got involved in Scouts, other than that it just seemed to be the thing to do, a kind of “positive peer pressure” or a way to keep busy, productive and social. And being a somewhat shy and introverted person this was very contradictory to my personality, my interests. I lived in a neighborhood that seemed to wave a banner and lead a parade when it came to anything and everything related to Scouts, so it was impossible to avoid collision with this “band wagon.


My parents were well-meaning, sincere and loving as they gently ushered me into the world of pack meetings and merit badges. And I went along with it, not really certain of what to expect. I was more trusting in those days, more ready to go with the flow.


Here’s the good things I remember about being in Scouts: I loved some of the activities, like the Pinewood Derby. I remember that my car was yellow, almost shaped like a banana (not intentional!) and while I didn’t win any races it was still a fun experience. I also remember when we had the Regatta - the boat race. I saved the ribbon I earned (for participation) and thought it was a cool thing back then.


There were some other activities that had elements of fun, like the Scout O Rama and the Cub Scout Day Camp. I was able to make some things out of leather and earned beads when I would complete an assignment at the various stations during the camp.


I also love the uniform; when I wore it I felt like a different person, not just some little kid, but someone of importance, almost like an adult. And I loved earning badges that would be sewn onto my shirt. I earned my Bobcat and Wolf badges, and I believe that Bear would be next…but I quit before then.




The bad part about Scouts, that led to my decision to quit altogether, was the whole experience of being with other boys. I had nothing in common with them, and I quickly learned that those who stand out in any way, shape or form are ostracized, ignored, teased or even bullied. I felt like such an idiot around these boys, all of whom seemed to catch on to things more quickly than me and seemed to progress faster, earn more badges than me, and most of all just have a good time together. Then I had to deal with some adults whom were a little too worked up about Scouts; they were pushy, aggressive, and very intimidating, and when I wouldn’t fall in line with the rest of the boys I was perceived as weird, wimpy and the dreaded d word…different.

Now I completely understand that my experience with Scouts does not mean that it was the same for everyone else; I also know that all leaders are not the same, and all kids are not the same. I’ve had the pleasure of seeing the positive side of Scouts through my nephews and their dad. My brother Josh has served in the Scout program and has been the kind of leader I wish I had had. My nephews, Josh Jr and Ben, both embody the enthusiasm, the drive and the energy needed in the program, and they have both worked so hard and earned many badges and other forms of recognition. I’m so proud of them! I’m glad that the Scout Program has been such a positive experience for them! It is a good program!

…and I mean it! Scout’s Honor!

1 comment:

  1. Logan gets to start cub scouts next month. We'll see how he likes it.

    ReplyDelete