Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy Groundhog Day!

Day 244

OK, so maybe this isn’t the most flashy, spectacular, festive holiday as, say, Christmas, Halloween or the 4th of July; but I’m wishing everyone a Happy Groundhog Day just the same!

Anyway, as mentioned in prior posts I love being able to watch a movie that has a theme related to a certain holiday, and then being able to watch the movie on the holiday. Because of my trip to Florida I may have to postpone watching my Groundhog Day movie, but I’ll definitely watch it when I can. And what is my Groundhog Day movie you ask (because you’re such a nosy, have-to-know-everything kind of person!)? As if it wasn’t obvious…

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (duh!!)


Ah ha! Just wanted to see if you were paying attention! Of course the movie is none other than Groundhog Day (1993), starring Bill Murray in one of his best roles!


In fact, it is my favorite Bill Murray movie (no offense to Ghostbusters, which is more of a collaborative movie). As for this movie, Bill is the star, the main character, the driving force, and he gives his best performance in it.


I suspect that my brother Josh will be blogging about this movie on his own post, so I’ll keep my description/analysis to a minimum. Don’t want to steal your thunder, Josh!


I think that Bill Murray is flawless in this movie as Phil Conners, a self-involved, egomaniacal weatherman forced to relive the same day over and over and over again. The rest of the cast is pitch-perfect in their supporting roles, including Andie MacDowell as Phil’s beautiful, kind-hearted TV producer (and potential love interest) and Chris Elliott as the dorky but likeable cameraman.


There are so many clever, classic lines in this movie, too many to reference, so I’ll just wrap up this post with one of my favorites:

Phil:  This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype. Groundhog Day used to mean something in this town. They used to pull the hog out, and they used to eat it. You're hypocrites, all of you!


HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post brother! You're always welcome to "steal my thunder!"

    I am so glad you love this movie as much as I do! Hilarious! And your quote was spot on for not having seen the movie in a year! :)

    ReplyDelete