Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine’s Day (AKA Single Awareness Day!)

Day 256


There are many different opinions about this particular holiday: it’s a great day to celebrate love; it’s the perfect day to propose to someone; it’s a beautiful day to spend with the one you love; it’s commercialization of an emotion; it’s just another day where you are pressured into spending money on overpriced cards and stupid gifts; it’s a day to be reminded that without someone you are just a lonely, miserable person! And so on…

I am single (surprise, surprise) and I have been for about 30-some odd years. Am I lonely and miserable? No! Am I looking for love in all the wrong (or right places)? No! I am content with the way I am, but I don’t begrudge anyone who is looking for love; or who has found love and wants to shout it from the rooftop; or anyone who wants to embrace the spirit of the holiday and buy cards/flowers/candy/gifts and give them to the person or persons they love; I say go for it! It’s your right and privilege!

Meanwhile, for us singles out there this could be a lonely, depressing day, but only if we choose to make it that way. I have many people in my life that I love and cherish, so I can still embrace the spirit of the day and tell them I love them, offer them tokens of my love and appreciation.

For many years I have received Valentine’s Day cards from my parents - signed by Mom, but meant to be from both she and Dad - and I have saved a few of them.



I know when I got this little card, because I kept it inside my journal - it was Valentine’s Day 1993.



This is an awesome card, because my mom was the one who came up with the great alternative name for this holiday: Single Awareness Day. I know that she meant this in a loving, funny, harmless teasing manner. In fact, I know that both of my parents have a great love and respect for me and aren’t desperate for me to find someone and settle down. And I appreciate that! So to conclude this post I’d like to offer my own Valentine to the 2 most important people in my life:



Dad and Mom,
 
Happy Valentine’s Day from your son! I love you both so much and I am so grateful for your love, your patience, your compassion, your understanding hearts, your examples, your testimonies of the Gospel! I am forever in your debt, forever humbled and forever amazed and overwhelmed!

Love,
Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment