Monday, February 28, 2011

“And the Oscar goes to…”

Day 270


The 83rd Academy Awards were presented last night and the big winner was The King’s Speech with 4 awards, including Best Picture. But The Social Network (my pick for the Best Picture) won 3 awards and my favorite movie of 2010, Inception, won 4 awards! So, all in all it was a great night. But the best part was the Oscar Party!



Every one's a STAR at the Oscar Party!!
And this was a great to remember those who could not be with us at this time!

Sadly, not all of my family could be present this year (Josh and Karen were out of town and their children were with other relatives), but there was still a good turn out at the house: in addition to me and my mom there was Jordan, Erin, Jaimee, Daniel, Matteah, Casey and Erin’s parents, Dave and Suzi, and her sister Kaylie. My dad had been tied up with church business most of the day, but was able to come home in time to watch the last hour or so of the show.

A basket of consolation prizes

This year my mom had the idea of giving away special prizes throughout the night, so she bought several simple (i.e. cheap) gifts and then I wrapped them up. Mom also had the great idea of putting a little statement on each gift that hinted at what was inside. For example, one gift has the statement “fishing for an Oscar” and the gift inside was a package of Swedish Fish (delicious candy, by the way!)

Kaylie proudly displays her consolation prizes!

Then it was decided that whoever got a category wrong would be able to choose from the prizes (as a consolation). Some had more opportunities than others to select from the prizes, but I won’t name names. Those who did get the chance to pick a prize seemed very pleased!

At the end of the night, after endless speeches and commercials (not to mention some of the strangest moments I have ever witnessed in the history of the Oscars) everyone tallied up their ballots and a winner of the Case Oscar Pool was determined. Drum roll, please…


With a total of 19 out of 24 correct guesses this year’s winner was…JAIMEE!!! Jaimee has won the Oscar pool before, but in the past few years it has been either Jordan or Erin, so this was her triumphant return to the winner’s circle! Way to go Jaimee!! And I would like to mention that Josh was right behind Jaimee, with an impressive 18 out of 24 correct guesses, and this from a guy that hasn’t seen most of the nominated movies!

I would like to thank the Academy…whoops, sorry!! I mean, I would like to thank everyone involved with the party! I had so much fun (who cares that I lost in the Oscar Pool?!) and I hope that everyone else did, too!

2 comments:

  1. We had so much fun... thanks for putting on a great party! We look forward to it every year!! And thanks for retaking that picture so I didn't have a double chin... starting the diet today!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very bummed that we missed it, but even more that I lost by ONE! :)

    We'll be sure to be present for my acceptance speech as the big winner next year. Ya better watch out little sis, I'm gunnin' for ya now! :)

    If it wasn't for you Jeremy and how fun you make this event every year, I wouldn't care squat about who wins or even who gets nominated. Thanks for making it so fun!

    That said ... "I See The Light" from Tangled totally got ROBBED for best song! It shouldn't have even been close! :(

    ReplyDelete