Thursday, February 24, 2011

I Remember…Cereal Box Prizes

Day 266

Remember when there would be a free prize inside a cereal box? For someone like me who practically lived on cereal (since I was such a picky eater!) I was able to establish quite a collection of cereal box prizes. And back in ‘89/‘90 my serial cereal habit (ha ha!!) paid off in a big way!


My cereal of preference at this time was Golden Crisp and the prize offered inside every box of cereal was a free license plate! To be clear, it was a small license plate that you could put on the back of your bike - it was important to have bicycles licensed in those days, I suppose! That way the cops could run a plate number in case it was stolen or involved in some nefarious schoolyard crime!


Anyway, I was able to collect many different state license plates, including Colorado, which was cool to me because that was where I lived. Of course I got a lot of duplicate states, but every now and then I would find a new license plate in the cereal box and I would be one plate closer to having all 50 states!


But there was another aspect to these cereal box prizes: there were special license plates that were for big prizes, including cash and electronics. One day I found one of these special license plates - it was like getting the golden ticket in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory! And what did I win? I won a remote control monster truck!!


It was so cool! I guess that all those boxes of cereal that I devoured finally paid off! I sent the license plate in and a few weeks later got my remote control monster truck! At this point in my life this was the first big prize I had ever won and I was thrilled!

I no longer have that monster truck, but I still have these state license plates, so I’ll always be reminded of how my bizarre eating habit actually benefited me!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, that took me back!! I remember you getting these license plates and I remember you selflessly sharing them with me and Josh... but I didn't realize you won a monster truck!! Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete