The 83rd Academy Awards ceremony takes place on Sunday the 27th and I am looking forward to it! As in previous years I’ll be participating in a friendly “Oscar pool” with my family, where we predict the winners. Here are my final predictions for the winners in seven categories:
BEST PICTURE
127 Hours
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King’s Speech
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter’s Bone
The Social Network won practically every film critic award for Best Picture these past few months; then The King’s Speech suddenly started winning the prestigious guild awards (Producers, Directors), which are often predictors of Oscar winners. I am tempted to be swayed by this, but I am going to remain true to The Social Network. Why? Because it is topical: everyone knows about Facebook, which has become one of the defining characteristics of the early 21st century. Oh, and just a little side note - it’s an awesome movie and deserves to win!
BEST DIRECTOR
Darren Aronofsky - Black Swan
David O. Russell - The Fighter
Tom Hooper - The King’s Speech
David Fincher - The Social Network
Joel & Ethan Coen - True Grit
Best Picture and Best Director almost always go hand in hand, and this year will be no exception. Fincher was nominated before for directing The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, so it’s his time to win.
BEST ACTOR
Javier Bardem - Biutiful
Jeff Bridges - True Grit
Jesse Eisenberg - The Social Network
Colin Firth - The King’s Speech
James Franco - 127 Hours
The King’s Speech has earned tremendous recognition and praise, but the majority of the accolades have been directed towards the star of the movie, Colin Firth. Firth was nominated last year and has been the front runner this year. The man is unstoppable! This is a total lock for him.
BEST ACTRESS
Annette Bening - The Kids Are All Right
Nicole Kidman - Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence - Winter’s Bone
Natalie Portman - Black Swan
Michelle Williams - Blue Valentine
There has been some debate over whether it will be Annette Bening or Natalie Portman named the Best Actress this year, as Bening has been nominated 3 times before; but I think Natalie has got this in the bag!
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Christian Bale - The Fighter
John Hawkes - Winter’s Bone
Jeremy Renner - The Town
Mark Ruffalo - The Kids Are All Right
Geoffrey Rush - The King’s Speech
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams - The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter - The King’s Speech
Melissa Leo - The Fighter
Hailee Steinfeld - True Grit
Jacki Weaver - Animal Kingdom
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
How to Train Your Dragon
The Illusionist
Toy Story 3
This is the only category that I feel is absolute: Toy Story 3 is going to win, hands down! I’d stake my life on it! And it should win, because this was one of the best Disney movies ever! And it’s definitely up there as one of the best sequels ever made!
So, there you have it. I should warn you that while I am a huge Oscar fan I am not always accurate with my predictions. There are always upsets/surprises, so there’s bound to be a few this year. We shall see...
So, there you have it. I should warn you that while I am a huge Oscar fan I am not always accurate with my predictions. There are always upsets/surprises, so there’s bound to be a few this year. We shall see...







Good predictions! I always enjoy reading these and I think I'll have to follow suit and make predictions about one of my favorite events ... the NCAA Tournament otherwise known as March Madness!
ReplyDeleteI am sad that Karen and I will be heading out of town when the Oscars are actually on so we will miss watching them with you. :( You always have the best party and make it so much fun to watch and cheer for whoever's sheet you are grading! :)
I agree with most of your selections but I am thinking that Darren Aronofsky might sneak away with Best Director. He was robbed with The Wrestler (only because of the subject matter) and Oscar owes him.
ReplyDelete