Friday, July 16, 2010

Family Reunion Friday

Day 43


The Case Family is taken for a ride!


I’m taking a break from doing my ‘Foreign Film Friday’ posts to focus on a new theme that is in keeping with summer activities: I call it ‘Family Reunion Fridays’ - here's the first one:

Case Family Reunion ‘94: “Praise To The Man”

It was a fantastic idea to have the Case Family Reunion in and around Nauvoo, Illinois in the summer of ‘94, because it just happened to coincide with the commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the martyrdom of Joseph Smith, which was on June 26th 1994. Not only were all of the Case relatives able to visit historic Nauvoo and learn more about the early days of the Church, but we were all able to attend several special meetings on the 25th and 26th. And in attendance at these meetings was the Prophet Howard W. Hunter!

I was so thrilled to visit Nauvoo and to learn more about the early days of the Church because I was engrossed in The Work And The Glory book series and fascinated with Church history. While it was a great time to be surrounded by family, to get reacquainted with relatives, this reunion was also a great history lesson, a spiritual tour, a religious event.

Here are some pictures of this memorable family reunion:
  Outside of Carthage Jail

    Mom, me, Jordan and Josh at Adam-Ondi-Ahman

I don’t suppose that any other reunion could top this, so let’s just say that this reunion was in a classification all by itself. It’s amazing to realize that after all these years there is now a temple in Nauvoo. Also amazing was that Gordon B. Hinckley became President of the Church just a year after the commemoration. I don’t mean to get all “churchy” or preachy, but this was one of the greatest, spiritually nourishing, testimony-building experiences of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment