Me with new glasses and a new outlook on the school experience!
Fourth grade (1983-1984) was absolutely my favorite grade in elementary school! It was the most memorable, most fun, most amazing year at Bonneville! I have so many vivid, specific memories from this year, and it makes for a nice change from 2nd and 3rd grade.
For one thing, I didn’t have to contend with a revolving door of teachers this year like I did in 3rd grade. I had one teacher, and she was my favorite: Mrs. Harker. She was so beautiful, young, funny, kind and always very supportive and encouraging towards me. It was no wonder that I had a major crush on her! Because she was a younger teacher (probably early 20’s) Mrs. Harker was “totally rad”, “awesome to the max” (these are the ‘80s terms for “cool”). She played the current, popular music in class sometimes. She would make jokes during class. She would do silly things to get the attention of the classroom. She was the ideal teacher! Like Mary Poppins, she was “practically perfect in every way!”
I'm on the front row (surprise, surprise).
Another thing about the 4th grade that I loved was the class itself; my classmates were all so nice, so cool and fun to be around. No problems with bullies for me this year! And I had great friends, like Keith (he’s on the back row, second from the left). He was a really cool, fun guy. There were lots of cute girls in my class, all very nice to me. Now for the memories: so many, too many to put into just one post. In 4th grade I participated in the National PTA Reflections Project: I Have A Dream. I entered in the Visual Arts division with a drawing (as I loved to draw) and I ended up earning an Honorable Mention ribbon and a Certificate of Merit! I was so thrilled with this, so happy and surprised!
Speaking of awards, I remember that there was a day when the 4th grade classes were combined for a special presentation, where someone was showing us how to build a bookshelf. As a reward to the best behaved student during the presentation, the bookshelf would be given to the chosen student. I remember that all of the kids were seated on the floor and it was hard to sit still and pay attention, but I really wanted the bookshelf so I made sure I sat still, even going so far as to fold my arms. Mrs. Harker and Mrs. Hill (another beautiful and 4th grade teacher) decided that the best behaved student was…me!! I was so thrilled, as if I had won an Oscar, and I carried the bookshelf home with the pride of someone who was carrying a Super Bowl Trophy!
At the end of the school year I was awarded a Certificate of Scholarship for Art during a school assembly, and I was so thrilled because I didn’t receive a certificate in 2nd or 3rd grade, so this seemed to be an end to my “losing streak.” It was an honor to be up on stage with my fellow classmates who earned certificates, and I was pleased to have received recognition for art.
There were many happy memories from 4th grade, but there was also a very sad memory for me. On the last day of school Mrs. Harker said goodbye to the class and I started crying. Crying is an understatement, though. I bawled my eyes out! I was so sad to leave the 4th grade, to leave this wonderful teacher behind. She had been so great to me, encouraging me to enter the Reflections Project, to continue my love of reading by recommending several authors and books, which included one of my favorite authors - Lloyd Alexander. She gave hugs (this was a time when teachers were allowed to do this, when it was purely innocent, safe and appropriate) when I would feel a little sad or discouraged, like when I struggled with math, which would become my worst/most hated subject in school!
My graduation from the 4th grade to the 5th grade.
Fourth grade was truly fantastic! It stands apart from every other year in school and it is due to the wonderful teacher, friendly students and diverse academic atmosphere I had the privilege to be a part of for a glorious nine months!

I totally remember the Reflections... awesome memories. Funny, fourth grade was probably my least favorite year, but your most favorite... what a difference a teacher makes, huh? Love you!
ReplyDeleteVery cool that you got some awards for art! Very belated congrats!
ReplyDelete