Date: Saturday July 25, 1998
In a previous post I mentioned that with the season of summer comes many fun, diverting activities, and then I listed a few of these activities. There is another activity to add to the list: going to the Renaissance Festival.
I’ve attended the Renaissance Festival here in Colorado on two occasions, and both times were great fun for me. And both times I went with my sister-in-law Karen’s sister, Jodie. She was the one who invited me to go in the first place, and then invited me again another time. Side note: thank you Jodie!
If you have never been to the Renaissance Festival (or anything like this) I recommend you experience it, because it is quite interesting, entertaining and even a little--dare I say--educational.
Date: Saturday July 21, 2001
When I went I felt like I was being transported back in time, to a kinder, gentler time when people could sort out there differences by literally throwing down the gauntlet and jousting their conflict away. The festival had a really cool jousting match, and different areas of the audience cheered for different contestants. Awesome! Or should I say HUZZAH?!! There were also many comedy acts, a magic act and even a hypnotist. Huzzah to all of that!
There were also many different little shops around, selling all things renaissance, such as clothes (this is where you can finally buy one of those huge, floppy, jester hats - with the little jingling bells!). Other shops sold things like paintings/drawings of renaissance-y stuff like pixies or fairies… You could also buy special potions (I’m not kidding), including the ever-popular love potion. For me, it was fun to just walk through these little shops, as the shopkeepers/cashiers all wore traditional costumes for the time, from a plethora of peasants to a never-ending group of knights!
Speaking of costumes, I was amazed at how many visitors showed up in their own renaissance-esque attire. Now that’s what I call active participation! Huzzah to them!
My favorite thing about the Renaissance Festival? The food, specifically the turkey on a stick! A messy, greasy, unhealthy mound of meat! Finger-lickin’ good indeed!! And with food you, naturally, would need some sort of libation, some beverage. Bottled water was sold (in keeping with the medieval times…I guess) to quench one’s thirst and prevent heat exhaustion (it was scorching hot both times I was at the festival!), but the bottled water cost more than just a few silver coins!
Despite the overpriced water, the unbearable heat (and lack of shade) I always had a great time at the festival. For a day I could walk amongst minstrels, wenches and wizards, enjoy the music, atmosphere and events of a bygone era! Huzzah to all!!
I feel less and less like a true Coloradoan (?!?!) as I have never been to the Renaissance Festival nor have I been to the Royal Gorge. What's wrong with me?!?!
ReplyDeleteI saw the show Excalibur in Vegas (ooo... blog idea) before I was married and I have not stopped saying HUZZAH!
ReplyDelete