Today is Pioneer Day - the celebration and recognition of the day the pioneers arrived in the Salt Lake Valley on July 24th 1847.
My ward (the Indigo Ranch Ward) had a primary/adult activity this morning and I was able to attend and help out. It was great fun! There was a big breakfast, as this activity started after 9; it was originally scheduled to start at 9, but with "Mormon Standard Time" it was more like 9:20! Anyway, after the breakfast everyone gathered together out on the lawn to hear pioneer stories. Well, almost everyone…see, I ended up staying in the picnic area of the church, visiting with the missionaries.
My contribution to the activity was helping run one of the games: the old “egg on a spoon” race, although instead of eggs we used marshmallows! The kids naturally preferred marshmallows to eggs (as do I!) The race was divided up into two groups: 6 & under and 7 & older. Many of the kids I teach in primary were at the activity and it was fun to see them again. The races were a lot of fun to watch, as kids would scramble to the finish line, drop their marshmallow and then sweep them off the ground so that they could finish the race and finally be able to enjoy the delicious marshmallows. I snuck one for myself! Yummy!
C'mon kids, you can take down the Relief Society!!
Next there was an impromptu volleyball game and I decided to join in and play. After all, I did take volleyball in college and I played many times when I attended the Singles Ward. Unfortunately, my years of experience did not carry over when it was time to play. Luckily, the game was cut short when it was time for tug-o-war, which was great fun (especially when the primary kids were pitted against the Relief Society--and won!!)
There was a three-legged race and I helped hold up the rope for the finish line, followed by the wheelbarrow race. The activities concluded with a kid’s parade, where the children rode in a procession on their decorated bikes.
It was a great turn-out and everyone seemed to have had a great time. And I was glad to be a part of this. Happy Pioneer Day!!
Looks like a good time! You are such a great primary teacher... love you!!
ReplyDeleteThat looks like a lot of fun!
ReplyDelete