Day 33
It goes without saying that I am a big fan of books. And summer is the season that I find myself reading more, as there isn’t much competition for my attention due to the endless reruns on TV and my current diminished interest in DVDs and Blu-Rays. Let’s face it: even someone like me gets bored with watching TV and movies sometimes, and books are the perfect, albeit temporary, replacement. Recently I have read two books that I would recommend to anyone in need of a suggestion or two.
The Short Second Life Of Bree Tanner
by Stephenie Myer
* This is the perfect “quick read” and a worthy companion to the Twilight series. This novella focuses on newborn vampire, Bree Tanner, who was originally introduced in the book Eclipse. After re-reading Eclipse, seeing the movie Eclipse and reading this book I feel I've gained a new understanding of a seemingly secondary, essentially unessential character and recognized that even the briefest of characters are capable of making a mark, an impression to a story. It was fun to be able to read a book that fills in the missing back story to a lesser known character, that ultimately reveals her purpose for being in the book Eclipse. Without delving into specifics (so as to not give away any of the plot details and possible surprises and twists), I’ll just summarize that this was an enjoyable distraction, an easy and effortless read for me, a perfect afternoon/late night/day at the park book.
Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media’s Attack On Christianity by S.E. Cupp
* Now this was a book that I really, thoroughly enjoyed! Fascinating, absorbing, thought-provoking, and not at all what I had expected. I was inspired to read this book when I heard about it on one of my favorite shows, Red Eye, which is shown on Fox News and features an ever changing panel of commentators. One of the commentators is S.E. Cupp, a beautiful redheaded conservative columnist who is brilliant, articulate and utterly captivating. Here is the interesting twist to her: she is an atheist, a non-believer, who has written a book that speaks in support of and on behalf of Christians and Christianity, by addressing the overwhelming bias in the media towards Christianity, pointing out the insulting discrepancies, the blatant stereotyping and cruel mockery that is inflicted upon politicians, public figures and the general populace that proudly proclaim to be Christians. I literally could not put this book down, which is full of startling statistics, remarkable quotations, clever humor and brutal honesty. The book made me ponder that if an atheist can be so supportive of our nation’s freedom of religion, of fair representation of religion in the media and just plain respectful and tolerant of religion in general then why can’t the media do the same?
There you go, my reading recommendations! And remember: Don’t be a crook, read a book! Get out of your hovel and read a novel! (I got a ton of these, folks!)



No comments:
Post a Comment