Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Night At The Opera

Day 56



Ten years ago yesterday I attended an opera for the first time in my life; consequently, it was the only time I’ve attended an opera thus far in my life, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be other operas in the future.

Anyway, I was invited to attend The Magic Flute with the eldest son and daughter of my mom’s best friend Joni. I was genuinely interested in going to the opera, thinking that this would be my one shot at couth and culture. Joni’s children, Rob and Katie, picked me up at my apartment and we went to the Pikes Peak Center here in Colorado Springs. I had been to the center before, when I saw Les Miserables with my mom (that’s gonna be a future blog post).



I remember that I didn’t really know what to expect and my knowledge of The Magic Flute was very limited. I was sort of familiar with it, having seen a portion of it portrayed in the movie Amadeus (which was a favorite movie of mine). Mozart created and composed this opera so it had to be good, right?


It was an awesome experience! The music, the voices, the acting, the sets - all were so impressive. As I sat in the audience, surrounded by people wearing tuxedos, formal dresses, Sunday best I felt like I was in another world, the world of the upper class, the “hoity toity”, the crème de la crème.

Years later, when I was putting together a scrapbook page of this experience, I found inside the program this survey, which I decided to fill out - enjoy!
I'm an obnoxious brat, huh?!

No comments:

Post a Comment