Last week I posted a list of five of my favorite comedies; I soon realized that this was going to be a longer list than I expected and so I decided to do another list, but now it seems like the list has taken on a life of its own, because I can’t seem to narrow it down. I could just bag the whole thing and do something else, but then I’d have a “Part One” and no “Part Two”…so I need to finish this up somehow. So for “Part Two” I am going to focus on my favorite comedies of the ‘90s:
Boy Meets World (1993-2000)
* This show brings back fond memories of T.G.I.F. on ABC, back when Friday night was all about comedy with shows like Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Step By Step, Full House and…Boy Meets World. I watched this show with my brother Jordan and we both just loved it! Granted, the first season was kind of immature and childish (and I didn’t like it), but it developed into a very funny show. Jordan and I have a lot of the same interests, likes and dislikes, and we have the same sense of humor. Anyway, this show followed the characters Cory, his family (including his older, dopey brother Eric), his best friend Shawn, the girl of his dreams Topanga, and his wise principal Mr. Feeney. The show got better and better each season; as the characters matured, so did the humor. They even spoofed themselves one time with a show within the show called Kid Gets Acquainted With Universe.
* I got a comment from my cousin Jenn Olsen on my last TV post, in which she mentioned this British comedy; this was awesome because I just happen to love, love, love this show (Thanks cuz!) My mom discovered this show one night while channel surfing and was laughing up a storm in no time, which got my attention and soon I was a part of the laugh-fest! The show focuses on Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet, according to her), a woman constantly striving to appear upper-class…and always failing, with hilarious results! The memorable supporting cast consists of Hyacinth’s sisters, Daisy, Rose and Violet; Daisy’s sloppy, but lovable husband Onslow; her father “Daddy”; Richard, her long-suffering husband; her put-upon neighbors, Elizabeth and Elizabeth’s brother Emmett. Another fantastic, brilliant British comedy!
The Nanny (1993-1999)
* This is a guilty pleasure for me, but now I can just admit it that I get a tremendous kick out of this show. Some might be irritated or completely annoyed by Fran Drescher “the nanny named Fran” with her nasal, whiny voice, but it never bothered me; it just added to the humor. I loved this show for all of its clever references and spoofs about Broadway (as Fran is the nanny of the three children of widowed Broadway producer, Maxwell Sheffield). Great cast of characters, including the 3 kids, the butler Niles, Fran’s mom Sylvia, Maxwell’s business partner C.C. Babcock, Fran’s ditzy friend Val, and Fran’s grandmother Yetta. All I can say about The Nanny is that “she’s got style, she’s got flair, (she was there) that’s how she became The Nanny!”
Seinfeld (1990-1998)
* I loved this “show about nothing”, although I am not the expert, avid, die-hard fan of the show like my sister Jaimee and her husband Daniel are. They have such a knowledge of the show that they used to kick my butt when we’d play Seinfeld Scene-It! But I did know a lot of trivia from the show and I remembered many of the episodes and the catchphrases: “No soup for you!”; “Serenity now!!”; “Yada, yada, yada”; “Not that there’s anything wrong with that!”; “Helloooo, la, la, la”; “All I want is an apology, my money back and for him to be fired!" And the characters: Jerry, George Costanza, Elaine Benes and Cosmo Kramer - all great! Self-absorbed? Of course! Funny? Of course! And the supporting characters: Jerry’s parents; George’s parents; Elaine’s on-again-off-again boyfriend Puddy; Jerry’s nemesis Newman, etc. Anyway, this may have been a show about nothing, but it had plenty of laughs [Groan] Sorry…I should just leave the jokes to Jerry Seinfeld!
There are many other favorite comedies of mine, but I’ll save them for a later post, probably divided up by decade (since I don’t have one all-time favorite!)




Awesome post!! Loved your Seinfeld quotes! I haven't seen Keeping Up Appearances in awhile but I still think of mom as Daisy kicking her feet under the blankets out of excitement from her trashy novels! :) And I love The Dish these days because it's fun to see Topanga!!
ReplyDeleteI loved "Boy Meets World". Me and my little brother would watch it every Friday night. (Jordan sometimes reminds me of my little brother.)
ReplyDelete