Friday, July 2, 2010

Foreign Film Friday: Strictly Ballroom

Day 29



 
Usually the term ‘foreign film’ refers to a foreign language film, but there are also foreign films that are in the English language; they are foreign because they originated outside of the U.S. Today’s post is about a foreign film that is in this category, and as with the other films I’ve posted this a favorite of mine (in fact, I watched it again on Tuesday).

Strictly Ballroom (1992)

This film comes from “Down Under,” aka Australia. It was directed by Baz Luhrmann, who went on to direct films like William Shakespeare’s Romeo + Juliet (with Leo DiCaprio and Claire Danes--haven’t seen that one) and Moulin Rouge! (which I have seen and love!)

The plot revolves around handsome, young ballroom dancer Scott Hastings, who has been groomed to compete in Australia’s Pan Pacific Grand Prix Championship. He seems destined to win, however he has a propensity to dance his own way with his own steps, which clashes with the federation that oversees/judges the ballroom championships, headed by the villainous president, Barry Fife.

When Scott’s partner Liz dumps him for another partner just 3 weeks before the big championship Scott’s family works to find him a replacement. However, Scott is approached by a beginner dancer named Fran (a shy, mousy, “ugly-duckling” type) who admires Scott’s originality and offers to be his partner and dance the way he dances. Scott is reluctant, but likes the idea of having someone who is willing to dance his new, innovative steps and agrees to their partnership.

Scott and Fran practice on the sly, while Scott’s mother (a ballroom dance instructor and past champion) goes into a tizzy trying to find a suitable partner. She is obsessed with her son winning the big championship, something she never did herself.

Through the course of their practices together, Scott finds himself learning some very impressive and valuable moves from Fran, and she gradually blossoms into a beautiful dancer and a beautiful woman. But problems soon complicate everything and Scott is forced to make a decision between doing what he wants and doing what is expected; choosing between Fran or his family; disappointing someone he may be in love with or disappointing his loved ones.

As a fan of Dancing With The Stars, I love this movie for its celebration and satire of ballroom dancing, but I also love the humor, the exaggerated characters (the acting is over-the-top, but just as it needs to be), the documentary-style set up in the beginning of the movie and the crowd-pleasing, heart-tugging moments throughout the entire film.

For me, this was the type of movie that had me smiling right up until the end and truly belongs in the “feel good movie” category! So I recommend that you give this dance a chance! (Ugh, another lame, corny joke! Sorry!)

3 comments:

  1. I have never seen this movie all the way through, just bits and pieces of it. I will have to watch the WHOLE thing... sounds like a good movie! I love your movie reviews and descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I a know where the Simpsons got that from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ANOTHER one that I love!! However I am not surprised that we have another movie in common!
    "I have to go help Wayne with his bogo pogo!"
    "Your a gutless wonder"
    HAHAHA
    Thanks for another great review of another fun movie!!
    Heidi (Cummings) Naylor

    ReplyDelete