Sunday, July 4, 2010

I Remember…The 4th Of July

Day 31



July certainly seems to be a popular month when it comes to birthdays! There’s mine, my sister-in-law’s, my uncle’s, my friend’s, my departed grandfather’s and perhaps the biggest birthday of all…America’s! Happy Birthday America! You look great for being 234 years old!

Anyway, Independence Day/4th Of July/America’s Birthday…whatever you want to call it, is one of my favorite holidays and I have many fond memories of this celebrated, patriotic day.

When I lived in Orem, Utah (‘78 - ‘86) I remember that my family would often go to a park/public place to watch the big fireworks show. As a young child I actually didn’t like fireworks. I didn’t like the loud noises; the pops, the bangs, the screeches, the whistles, the booms. But I liked watching the fireworks, so I used to cover my ears (or stick my fingers in my ears) while watching the big display. I also had an aversion to holding the sparklers, because I was afraid I’d burn my hand, but I would eventually take one and as I can recall I never got burned.

Living in Rigby, Idaho (‘86 - ‘89), I remember that my family would celebrate the 4th of July with the Garrett Case family in Rexburg, Idaho. We’d gather together at their house, play games (it was so much fun having so many cousins to hang out with, and they were tons of fun!) and, of course, set off fireworks! My uncle Garrett and aunt Gale were very protective and responsible when it came time for the fireworks display. All of the spectators would have to be within a safe distance from the fireworks, and the fireworks would be set off carefully, one at a time. No accidents, no injuries (as far as I can remember), just lots of fun!

It seems like every 4th of July spent here in Colorado Springs has been a total (forgive the pun) blast! And that’s mainly due to the fact that my brother-in-law Daniel consistently puts on the best fireworks displays that I have ever seen! He and my sister host a BBQ at their house almost every Independence Day, and they do things up so great it would make America proud!

Happy Birthday America!! I am grateful to be able to live in this wonderful country, grateful for all those who have made it free (and those who continue to serve and protect us to maintain that freedom!) Let Freedom Ring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment