Today is my birthday, but it also happens to be the birthday of my departed grandfather, Garrett Case (my father’s father). As a child I didn’t fully appreciate the connection we shared, having the same birthday, but now that I am older I recognize how special and unique that is. Today I want to share some memories of Grandpa Case.
Grandpa Case with Josh, Jaimee and me in our backyard
in Orem, Utah - '78 or '79 (I believe).
* I remember when my family lived in Orem, Utah and we would visit Grandpa Case. I remember that he had a mail slot in his front door and I loved to play with it. He also had a big table for various plants in the corner of his living room; it was very beautiful. He had a nice big backyard to play in, with a few large trees that I remember hiding behind.
* I remember how quiet Grandpa Case was. I never heard him raise his voice or yell. I remember how he would take his time talking, speaking at his own pace. His way of speaking actually reminded me a little of John Wayne. As a kid I didn’t understand the medical reasons for his labored speech, I just figured he spoke like a cowboy or a farmer.
* I remember when he lived with Uncle Garrett and his family in Rexburg, Idaho, and how my family would visit often while we lived in Rigby, Idaho.
* Speaking of living in Rigby, I remember when Uncle Garrett and his family would bring Grandpa Case to our house for visits. One time everyone was outside, enjoying a beautiful Sunday afternoon, and Grandpa Case started using the handle of his cane to hit little balls that had been left out on the lawn. He moved slowly, cautiously, but when it came time to hit the ball he had an impressive swing: no hesitation, just a good whack and he’d send the ball rolling a great distance. And as I recall he never missed!
* Another memory I have of Grandpa Case was when we celebrated our birthday together at my house. It was my 7th birthday and both he and I had our own birthday cakes and each of us got to blow out our own candles. I must confess that I remember feeling a little bit annoyed that I had to share my birthday celebration, that the day wasn’t just about me. Someone needed to remind me that Grandpa Case was born way before me, so I was the one who was “glomming” onto his special day, not the other way around!
* I remember that I was always somewhat intimidated by Grandpa Case, and consequently I would often keep distance between us. On the other hand, I remember that my sister Jaimee had a really close, special relationship with him. She would often sit on his lap or hold his hand. I’m ashamed that I wasn’t this way with him, with the man who shared my birthday.
* I remember a time when I was being a major jerk of a kid and didn’t want to say ‘hi’ to Grandpa Case when he called the house. As I recall, my mom handed me the phone and I grabbed it and said “Hellogoodbye!” and handed it back. Man, I deserved a swift smack in the mouth for that. I am ashamed of that and I will always remember that callous, obnoxious behavior.
Grandpa Case passed away on December 16th 1991 when I was 17 years old. I remember that the funeral was very beautiful and that all of the grandchildren sang a special song during the funeral, complete with additional lyrics that were composed by my Aunt Carol:
Grandpa loved the little sheep
Like he loved us, oh so deep.
We must love each other too.
That’s what Grandpa said to do.
I missed out on really getting to know my grandpa and building a connection with him beyond having a shared birthday. I will always regret that, but I have the hope that I’ll get a chance in the eternities; as for now I have this to build on: Happy Birthday Grandpa! I love you and I thank you for sharing your special day with me.

Beautiful tribute to Grandpa Case... and Happy birthday to you too!!
ReplyDelete