Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Becoming A Teacher

Day 61




Hard to believe that 22 years ago (!) I was ordained to the office of Teacher in the Aaronic Priesthood. Even harder to believe is that I saved my ordination certificate - I guess I’m sort of a “pack rat.” But I am grateful to have saved these mementos - reminders of the special times in my life.

Unfortunately, I don’t have very vivid or specific memories of being a Teacher. Fortunately, this means this will be a very brief blog post (which I’m sure my readers will appreciate - ha, ha!)

All that really comes to mind is that I didn’t really fit in with the other Teachers at church. I wasn’t into sports, I wasn’t athletic, I wasn’t into camping. And maybe that is why I remember zilch about being a Teacher.

Oh wait, I've remembered something about this time in my life: home teaching with my dad when we lived in Rigby, Idaho. He was a great person to go home teaching with, because he loved to visit with the families we taught; he kept the perfect balance of being fun, friendly and spiritual. But he didn’t go overboard on things, knowing when it was OK to inject humor and when it was important to provide a spiritual thought or message.

So, now I’ll think of the times I was home teaching companions with dad when I think of being a Teacher. Thanks Dad!

2 comments:

  1. That's what I remember about being a Teacher was home teaching. But that was about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you used to collect fast offerings as well? Or do you do that as a Deacon? Still good memories! Love you!

    ReplyDelete