AKA: “Let’s Have A Drink On It Now!”
(Note: this is a reference to a song from the 1967 Disney musical The Happiest Millionaire, a favorite movie of my family)
Me - circa 1996 - beverage in hand, looking quite insane!
(Jaimee is in the background, calling for help!)
Summer. It’s not just about the fun vacations and the sweltering heat, it’s also about the thirst! And I’d like to reminisce about some of my favorite beverages from my past, beverages that would quench my thirst and get me through the day! These are not in any particular order, even though I numbered them; this is not a ranking, just a list.
1) Carnation Instant Breakfast
“…you’re gonna love it in an instant!”
* I remember that I used to have this beverage for breakfast every morning when I was a little boy. I never liked drinking milk plain (ugh!!), so this was a way for me to get my healthy dose of milk each day. The eggnog flavor was my favorite!
2) Pepsi Free
[Line from Back To The Future]
“Give me a Pepsi Free.”
“If you want a Pepsi, pal, you’re gonna pay for it.”
* I have a very fond memory of this beverage: after breaking my femurs and eventually being freed from my body cast, I had physical therapy. When I would return home from my physical therapy session my mom would give me a Pepsi Free (with a cool, bendy straw). It was a special treat and a much needed thirst quencher, after spending hours doing all sorts of exercises.
3) Nestle Quik Strawberry Milk
* I remember that I used to drink this all of the time, especially at school. I hated drinking milk in the cafeteria, so my mom gave me chocolate milk powder, wrapped up in tin foil, so I could take it to school and pour it into my milk carton at lunch (gee, I wonder what people today would think of seeing someone carrying powder wrapped in tin foil…DRUGS, anyone?!) Anyway, when the strawberry flavor came out I tried it and loved it, and that became my school lunch beverage!
4) Kool-Aid
“Kool-Aid, Kool-Aid, tastes great! Get some Kool-Aid, can’t wait!”
* I remember that when we lived in Orem, Utah me and my siblings loved to drink Kool-Aid, and when we were old enough we were able to make it for ourselves! Favorite flavors: Lime (because my favorite color is green), Orange and Grape!! Least favorite flavor: Blueberry. In fact, I feel like barfing just remembering that yucky flavor! [Yeah, I’m a Blueberry-hater, deal with it!]
Well, this post has worked up quite a thirst in me. I suppose I should have a glass of water…oh, please!! You’ve got to be kidding!!





Now I have that song stuck in my head... thanks a lot! ;) I remember Carnation Instant Breakfast! Yum!
ReplyDeleteYou forgot "TANG! I'm gonna drink it forever!" ... oh wait, maybe that's a song from a movie ... yeah it is ... and the lyrics are about being famous ... nevermind. :)
ReplyDeleteYay Lime Kool-Aid is the best!
ReplyDeleteI totally remember Pepsi Free at your house. When I saw that logo it made me think of you guys.