Friday, August 20, 2010

Family Reunion Friday

Day 78


Group shot of everyone in their 'Y2Case' t-shirts
(Red was more popular than Green)

Case Family Reunion ‘00: “Y2Case”

This will be my last 'Family Reunion Friday' post and I'm wrapping it up with our reunion held here in Colorado Springs. Dad and Mom were the organizers/sponsors of this particular reunion, and it was quite the event! Here are some excerpts from my journal [Volume 25: June 23rd 2000 - December 2nd 2000]:

Thursday June 29th,

10:42pm - Day One of the Y2Case Reunion. I can’t even begin to give a run-down on who was there, but a rough estimate would be somewhere around 35 (I think). The amazing thing was that we were all able to fit under one roof…

Uncle Dwayne, Uncle Garrett Eugene, Aunt Carol, Uncle Lewis and Dad -
seated around "the family tree" craft on the table
…Mom was going to do this craft thing, with everyone working on these cool family trees that Dad had prepared a few weeks ago. But Mom was on a wild goose chase, buying more supplies. Plus she had to squeeze in some time to work…

…The cousins I usually out with are married and “different”. It’s kind of a “can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em” deal. And I haven’t…


Uncle Dwayne and Dad, ready to perform some good ol' folk songs!

Friday June 30th,

11:38pm - It’s Day Two of the Y2Case reunion. And I still need to finish up yesterday, but I’ve already forgotten yesterday, or rather I’ve just been phased out…


Josh (in red shorts) plays a little croquet with several cousins
…After dinner all of the relatives got to see our t-shirts and pick out their own. And today they wore them: they were red or green. I wore red, which matched my sunburned body. I felt much better when I saw Josh. He was burnt worse than me and his whole body was stiff. He must have pulled every one of his muscles. Josh had played so hard yesterday, wowing his cousins with his athletic ability. He won at croquet, basketball, ultimate frisbee, but today he paid for it…

…Breakfast went smoothly, even with the addition of more relatives - now about 45 - with their appetites. They were all wearing their green or red t-shirts, which looked great! Jordan visited with his new best friends/cousins Daniel and Peter. I sort of tagged along, ignoring the age difference and focusing on the common bond - single males! Suddenly a plan was in motion: we four would break off from the rest of the reunion and go shopping/cruising…

…The four of us hit the road for a day that was just perfect! We had one mission: to help Jordan find a CD burner. We hit both malls in town, 2 Best Buy stores and Circuit City, where Jordan had success. He bought his burner and then picked up some CDs…

…we were all back at the park, just as dinner was wrapping up. I think we were somewhat in trouble for being gone all day, but it didn’t matter…

Saturday July 1st,

11:17pm - Day Three of the Y2Case Reunion. Part of today felt like an ordeal, while part of it felt like a perfect joy…

…Things were a little more laid back for this breakfast get-together, as one family had already headed back home, and another family was just planning on dropping by to say goodbye…

…I was looking for some sort of neutral zone or rabbit hole that I could crawl down to a normal, parallel world. Heaven help me for being so blunt and poetic. I just couldn’t be comfortable. My family engaged in endless/pointless conversation…


…We had some time to ourselves before tonight’s activity (which had been postponed from Wednesday night) of bowling. Dad was great and reserved us some lanes. At the alley (Harmony Bowl) we met up with the other relatives. Here comes the perfect joy - doing what we love. We divided up into groups and bowled 3 games. So much fun!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I had one of those shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun post. I am so grateful that you kept journals all these years. I forgot about having "impressive athletic ability" so it is good that my kids can know I had some skill at some point. Ha ha! :)

    Oh, and just because you were hanging out with the single dudes, don't think you were the only one who felt out of place. At least you had the forethought to sneak off and cruise with the boys ... some of us had to listen to the Brothers Case discuss/argue over the order of the verses to Rum By Gum / Temperance Union. :)

    ReplyDelete