Run away!! It's an attack of Anhder Relatives!!
Anhder Family Reunion ‘98: “Fear Of Family”
Here’s another Memorial Day Anhder family reunion held at my Uncle Kurt and Aunt Lisa’s house. Here are some excerpts from my journal entry for that day, May 25th 1998:
2:35pm - I’ve never tried this before, writing while riding in a car. O.K., I probably have done it before, but this time I will actually try and sustain an entire entry. Will the road be smooth and straight for me? Not likely. Life is certainly never completely such. I’m trying to balance this journal on my lap and keep an eye out on the road ahead, to avoid writing in here during any rough spots! So true to life - balancing so much, trying to stay on stable ground. I am writing in here so early in the day because we are on our way home, and we won’t be back into town until 1 or 2 in the morning.
My dad, Matt, Kristy, Kathy, Jordan (hidden behind Jaimee), Grandpa and Grandma
5:28pm - I think we have about 6 more hours to go, but I could be wrong. O.K. back to the reunion. It was really good to see the grandparents again. Despite their health predicaments both of them seemed as pleasant and warm as always. I didn’t want to allow any cynical thoughts cloud over the happy occasion, namely that this could be the last time I see them together. I was really glad to see Matt and his wife Kristy. My “soul cousin” is an old married guy now! My family visited with Kurt and Lisa, which was fun since they are such a fun couple.
I look concerned, scared maybe?
My cousin Jennifer looks like she's having a great time, huh?
More people showed up and I felt awkward around some of them. Call it shyness or sheer confusion. It’s hard to address relatives you’ve lost touch with; I remember happier times when all of the cousins knew each other well, and we loved hanging out together. But we grew up and became strangers. I hate it and I want to change it, but I’m just not strong enough to make an effort. Scared of family? Sounds pretty pathetic. But it’s even like this with my aunts and uncles. I want to be more sociable with them, but my insecurities and lack of life experience (adult life, that is) keep me distanced. And I fear this distance is reaching my relationship with Matt. He’s not ignoring me, nor am I doing the same with him, but we’re becoming different people. If I get married I’ll be closer to him and the others - the “married people.”
The couple of the day - Grandpa and Grandma Anhder.
Lisa got all of us to turn our attention to the couple of the day - Grandpa and Grandma. This reunion was also an anniversary party, albeit an early anniversary, as this September marks 60 years for Grandpa and Grandma Anhder! Pretty darn impressive, huh? Lisa presented them with a special gift - a memory book, with contributions from all of the family. I think the grandparents were really touched by this. After the little ceremony it was time for the Cases to hit the road. So we had our hurried goodbyes, and last minute promises of letters and future visits: some are sincere, others are just expected. Matt wants to e-mail me about his latest idea for a graphic novel! I’m so glad he still has a desire to utilize his talent and follow his dream. And so ends a memorable Memorial Day.




I have such memories of this particular reunion! I love that picture of Jenn!! :P
ReplyDeleteI can't believe that is me... well, the face is my typical photo face, but the dress? I have no recollection of that dress...
ReplyDeleteIsn't it stupid to feel so awkward around relatives? I totally feel the same way. Self conscious, insecure and I don't have much to say which is SO unlike me). Well, I think blogging has helped... we will have lots to talk about and I really feel like I am getting to know you better. I think the next time we get together, we won't feel weird. YAY!
It is sad when cousins/siblings get older and often drift apart. But then when we become old fogies we later reconnect.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that my cousins (*AHEM* Jordan!) are blogging along with my sister. It has been a lot of fun and I feel like we are much closer because of it.