I’ve blogged about my brothers Josh and Jordan, and the letters they sent me while on their individual missions; but I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that my sister Jaimee also sent me letters; this was during the time when she stayed with relatives in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Jaimee was invited to stay with the Thompson family, which consisted of our Uncle Dave, Aunt Carol (my dad’s sister), and cousins Laurine and Nancy. Jaimee formed a very special connection/bond with Laurine and Nancy and loved to visit. It was a nice opportunity for Jaimee to be able to get away from Colorado, away from her friends and her family (as we all could be rather annoying/suffocating at times!)
Jaimee and I sent letters to each other throughout the summer and we both had a special way of addressing our envelopes: we’d use the character names from some of our mutually beloved movies, such as Girls Just Want To Have Fun (1985) and The Cutting Edge (1992). [I will have to do a separate post about these two cult favorites!] In the movie Girls Just Want To Have Fun Sarah Jessica Parker played the main female character ‘Janey Glenn’, so Jaimee would use that name. I was the male lead character from the movie, ‘Jeff Malene’. As for The Cutting Edge, Jaimee was the female lead character ‘Kate Moseley’ and I was the male lead character ‘Doug Dorsey’. It was a silly, fun, unique way of addressing the envelopes, our own private joke.
During the summer of ’94 Jaimee was out in Ohio during my birthday (the big 2-0) and she sent me this wonderful card:
I love that Jaimee added a little more underbelly to make this look more like Kevin!
The pig on the cover of the card is a nice homage to our pet pot-bellied pig Kevin Arnold Bacon - hey, that’ll have to be another subject for a future blog post. I should write/type these down while I remember them!
Nice card, but boy did Jaimee "rip me a new one" at the end of the card!
(And I never did talk like that again!)
Back to the letters, I always got such a kick out of hearing from Jaimee. She would share all of the fun adventures that she had out in Cincinnati: going to King’s Island, going to Girl’s Camp with Laurine, to name a few. I have to admit that I was envious of her fun times with the Thompson cousins in Cincinnati. Note: to be fair I need to mention that I did visit Cincinnati in August of ‘93 with my dad, Jordan and Jaimee (yet another future blog post!)
Jaimee shared special memories that she made with the Thompson family, which is particularly touching now since our Aunt Carol sadly passed away in 2007. I’m glad that Jaimee was able to forge a strong connection and friendship with our relatives out east. And it was a blast writing to her during the summer - sort of like pen pals!
Thanks Jaimee for keeping up the correspondence! It’s a shame we don’t write each other anymore…oh, wait! We live within minutes of each other! Umm....never mind!!



Aw, I loved this post!! Sorry for ripping you a new one, it was all out of love! You are just too hard on yourself and I get defensive of you!! Here's a favorite... "She didn't invite him... she invite Jeff..." :P
ReplyDelete