Day 88
Most people who know me know that I am very peculiar when it comes to food. For example: I am such a picky eater that for most of my childhood the only food I would eat was CEREAL. And since that was my preference for food I dabbled in various kinds of cereal, trying to find THE one. Throughout my childhood I enjoyed and/or sampled these particular cereals (listed in alphabetical order):
1) C-3PO’s
* I tried this because--DUH!!--it was Star Wars so it had to be good, right?! WRONG!! I was not a fan of this one! It tasted like dried-out Cheerios (although, funnily enough, I did like Cheerios!) Needless to say, I quickly moved on to another cereal and learned a valuable lesson that not everything associated with Star Wars is good (and I am including the Star Wars Holiday Special from 1978!)
2) DONKEY KONG
* In the 1980s there was a plethora of cereals based on popular arcade/video games, in the way that today there are many cereals based on popular cartoon/TV characters. Donkey Kong cereal tasted just like Cap’n Crunch to me (another cereal I liked). I remember that I once cut out the characters from the cereal box and played with them. I also remember that I drew them in school (4th grade, as I recall).
3) MARSHMALLOW KRISPIES
* There were actually 3, count ‘em, 3 “alternate” versions of the Rice Krispies cereal (another one that I liked). There was Frosted Krispies (like it), Chocolate Krispies (never tried it, as I recall) and my favorite: Marshmallow Krispies. I have a thing for marshmallows, so it was natural that the combination of two of my favorite things would equal love at first bite (pun intended!)
4) MR. T
* “I pity the fool who don’t eat my cereal!” - I think this was the actual commercial tagline for the cereal. Seriously. Here’s an example of a cereal based on a cartoon, that was based on a real person… I remember that this cereal tasted just like Donkey Kong, which in turn tasted just like Cap’n Crunch and…see the pattern developing here?
5) PAC-MAN
* What a shock! Another cereal based on a video game. How original. Pac-Man was all the rage in the early 1980s, so a cereal was certainly inevitable; but it was actually decent-tasting…of course, that is only because of those ghost and Pac-Man marshmallows (love those marshmallows!). As for the rest of the cereal, it was Kix disguised as “power pellets.”
6) RAINBOW BRITE
* Another cereal based on a popular cartoon and popular toy - I loved this one! I remember that one time I saved up several of the “proof of purchase” stamps from the boxes and sent them in to get a…wait for it…Rainbow Brite Kite!! Pretty darn cool, right?!
7) SMURFBERRY CRUNCH
* Smurfs!! Those nasty little blue buggers (just kidding!) Smurfs were very, very popular in the 1980s, and apparently are still popular because a movie is being made about them - no lie! Anyway, this cereal tasted really good…or should I say it was ‘smurf-a-licious’?! Oh my smurf! That was the worst smurfin’ joke I’ve ever smurfed!!
8) SUPER SUGAR CRISP
* Before Golden Crisp, before Super Golden Crisp there was (dun, dun, DUN!!) SUPER SUGAR CRISP!! Here it is folks, the cereal that has withstood the test of time, the one that has a permanent place in my heart…I mean, stomach! THE ONE!! I have been eating this cereal (now called Golden Crisp) for over 20 years!! And you wonder why I look the way I look…well, I owe it all to the Sugar Bear!! Thanks, I guess...








You are a cereal connoisseur!! This brought back a lot of memories and I am just very glad you didn't put King Vitamin on here because I didn't like that cereal at all!! Love you!
ReplyDeleteHoly ... wait for it ... crap!
ReplyDeleteAWESOME BLOG! I bored Karen to tears with all my "extras" on each one of these cereals! My personal faves, for eating anyway, were SmurfBerry Crunch (which was basically just the berries from Cap'n Crunchberris) and PacMan cereal (because there were always WAY more marshmallows than Kix rejects).
I remember you ate so much Super Sugar Golden Crispy Bear cereal that you actually won that huge Radio-Controlled car! Not to mention we collected enough of those musical Sugar Bears to decorate the whole tree ... and then of course we started them all at the same time to check the timing of the song. I think mom must have hated that! :)
That C3-PO cereal was just dreadful. I totally remember you eating a ton of those Sugar Smacks!
ReplyDeleteI also love those little marshmallows. I remember I found a bag of those sold separately so you could put as much as you wanted in your cereal. I say who needs cereal if I had all those marshmallows?!