I missed out on the school pictures, so this was all I have -
a yearbook picture (it looks like a mug shot!)
My tenth grade/sophomore year (1989-1990) was very difficult for me, because just a month or so after I began my first year at Rigby High my family moved to Greeley, Colorado. I had to leave behind a beautiful home, many friends and all of the warm, happy memories of living in Rigby, Idaho. I am probably sounding very dramatic right now, but at the time this happened I was 15, so basically I was a dramatic teenager!
First, let me review my brief stint at Rigby High. The school was newly built, but it seemed to resemble a modern day barn (I wish I had a picture to prove this, but just take my word for it!) I took typical classes: Biology, English, Algebra (ugh!) and Typing. I learned how to type on a typewriter…seriously. I also took Seminary, and it was offered as release time, so I had it for the first hour. Sweet! A nice, spiritual way to start the school day. Something extra special: Seminary was held in a newly built building right on the campus of the school!
Anyway, I remember that during my Algebra class I could hear music coming from the nearby gymnasium, as there was a modern/ballroom dance class being held in the gym (seriously--in fact, it was on my schedule for the next trimester!) There was always one song being played - Chris DeBurgh’s “The Lady In Red.” Sorry, just a totally random remembrance there!
Then came the move (dun, dun, DUN!!!) and my sophomore year took a sharp, dramatic turn. Goodbye Rigby, Hello Greeley! I was now attending Greeley Central High School (home of the Wildcats!) and to be fair this school was an improvement, appearance-wise. It resembled a traditional school and would never be confused with a barn!
That’s the good. Now the bad. Suddenly, I’m in a school where pregnant teen girls are common place--there was a long-standing joke that the school had its own daycare! There is a smoking section outside the school…for STUDENTS!! Seminary is not offered as release time because--surprise, surprise--the majority of the school’s population is not LDS. This meant that I was now able to enjoy the bliss of Early Morning Seminary (dun, dun, DUN!!!) Waking up at 5 am Monday thru Friday, attending seminary (taught by a very nice woman named Sister Rook - the only good thing about early morning seminary) - it took a toll on me. It was murder to put in my contacts in the wee hours of the day!
I was very shy, withdrawn and downright antisocial during my sophomore year. Consequently, I was also depressed for most of the school year (depression mixed with the usual abundance of normal teenage mood swings). I was in quite a slump for the majority of the year, but to be realistic I have to admit that it wasn't all bad.
I remember that I took Driver’s Ed this year, and for me it was really just a refresher course, because I had the opportunity to learn how to drive in Idaho when I was 14! In fact, I got my “day license” in the 9th grade. The great thing about being previously licensed was that I didn’t have to take the driver’s test to get my Colorado license; I just turned in the Idaho license and got upgraded to a regular Colorado license! I did, however, have to take a test in Driver’s Ed and I barely passed! But I passed just the same! [NOTE: I am a very good driver, as I have had only one ticket in my life, and it was deferred!]
By the end of my sophomore year I had managed to make a few friends, had adjusted to life in Colorado (a state I have grown to love and think of as my native home!) and survived the “sophomore slump.” The next year--my junior year--would be much, much better for me!




I remember you talking about hearing "The Lady In Red"... love that song! You are so handsome! :)
ReplyDeleteThis is the best I could do to find a picture of the high school on the internet ... it was most definitely shaped like a huge barn!
ReplyDeletehttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Pi9rle3TGlY/TBkChgfy9mI/AAAAAAAAAUA/oRzlyiVpVNo/s400/front_of_school.jpg