Monday, December 27, 2010

Casey - Who Could Ask For Anything More?

Day 207


Today is my nephew Casey’s 2nd birthday - Happy Birthday! Just two days after Christmas we have another special day to celebrate! And now I would like to share a few excerpts from my journal, from my journal entry on the day of Casey’s birth [Volume 43]:

Saturday December 27th 2008,

8:25pm - Early, early this morning, around 5, Jaimee was taken to the hospital; her water broke and she had the C-section. At 8:30 this morning Casey Daniel Shepard was born, weighing 9 pounds(!) and 21 ¾ inches in length! Most importantly, he was born healthy and both he and Jaimee are doing just fine! All I can say is WOW! It’s funny how we’ve been anticipating this, and for Jaimee it was especially long and drawn out. But now that it’s over it seems so sudden and unexpected…

…Around 11 we all went together to the hospital. Matteah was just overexcited and kept getting away from us once we were at the hospital. When we arrived at Jaimee’s room we let Matteah go in by herself, so the Shepard Family could have a private moment. Then Daniel invited us in and we got our first look at the newest member of the family…

…Casey certainly looked healthy, although he did not look like a 9 pound baby. His skin was a perfect shade of pink, his head full of dark brown hair - a full head of hair, mind you…


Me and Casey - Thanksgiving 2009

…Jaimee was doing great, too, or as good as could be expected. Bless her for being so social and friendly with us, in spite of her exhaustion. Mom and I each got turns with holding Casey, and when I had him in my arms I could feel he was 9 pounds. Amazing! Even though I felt the weight I still felt like he was just this little, delicate, fragile baby with which I had to be extra protective…

…Matteah took a 2 year-old’s interest in her new brother, but when Mom held him Matteah wanted her turn. And then I witnessed something so precious it was almost sacred. Matteah started singing “I Am A Child Of God.” She sang the whole first verse without any hesitation, and it just melted my heart! Matteah soon moved on to other interests in the room, cleaning with a towel (she is definitely her mother’s daughter!) It was so funny to witness…

…Casey’s birth is a blessing. A beautiful, healthy baby boy. Who could ask for anything more?

1 comment:

  1. Jeremy, I was literally in tears reading your entry from the day of Casey's birth. I love you so much and so does Casey. :)

    ReplyDelete