Wednesday, December 8, 2010

I Remember…Fad Toys

Day 188

Here’s another thing that I always connect with Christmas: TOYS!! Growing up I was always so excited about Christmas because I knew that I would be getting new toys. I remember that me and my siblings would each get to look through the Sears catalog and select the toys we wanted for Christmas; naturally, we’d always go overboard and pick just about every toy in the catalog. And there would always be the “IT” toy or toys - the trend of the season, the fad. Anyone remember Cabbage Patch Kids? Tickle Me Elmo? And kids would always get hooked into the frenzy of getting that specific toy - we didn’t worry about cost or practicality. Boy, were we stupid!

Anyway, enough with my rant - let’s get to the toys. These are some of the “fad toys” I remember having; some were Christmas presents, while others were just toys I probably begged and prodded my parents to get me!

E.T.



* I remember the huge popularity that followed this beloved movie. At the time it was the highest grossing movie, so it was only natural that people would try to capitalize on its success by putting out products related to the movie, such as toys. I remember that I got this cool figure of E.T. himself. It was very cool because his neck could stretch just like it did in the movie!

The Smurfs


* Who could forget these little blue [fill-in-the-blank]? I remember the immense popularity of the cartoon which led to an outpouring of products, from books to toys. I remember that I was caught up in the frenzy of Smurfs. For my birthday one year I got this cool little bubble gum dispenser.


And then there was the stuffed Smurf. I remember that I went through a stuffed animal craze (ooh, that’ll have to be a future blog post…take note Jeremy!), so of course I had to get a Smurf to add to my collection!

Care Bears



* It’s interesting that Smurfs and Care Bears are still around after all of these years. They still have their own toys and books and DVDs. Anyway, I remember that for Christmas one year I got these cool little Care Bear figures. The green one was Good Luck Bear and the yellow was Sunshine Bear. And the reason I got these particular Care Bears? Because green and yellow were my favorite colors at the time. That’s logical.

No comments:

Post a Comment