Saturday, December 4, 2010

“Tale As Old As Time”

Day 184


This past Thursday night I had the opportunity of going to see the musical Disney’s Beauty and the Beast with my mom, Jordan, Erin, Erin’s mom Suzi and Erin’s sister Kaylie. We had a great time and the show was fantastic!

Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite Disney animated movies, so I had high expectations for the musical and I certainly wasn’t disappointed. I was very impressed with how well the movie transferred to the stage. The original songs were kept intact and there were several songs added to the production which I thought were terrific. “The Beast” had a few songs of his own to perform, which helped build up the story and his character.

As for “Beauty” - Belle - she certainly lived up to her name, not to mention the fact that she had a beautiful voice. The supporting characters were all equally terrific and memorable: Cogsworth, Lumiere, Mrs. Potts, Lefou; but in my opinion the character that practically stole the show was Gaston. He was the perfect embodiment of a conceited, rude, sexist, ego maniacal jerk! And he had an amazing voice!


Anyway, all of us met up at Chili’s for dinner before the show and then we went to the Pikes Peak Center. We arrived in plenty of time and had no trouble finding our seats, which were ideal…except that I ended up being seated to a very talkative young man with an annoying voice. He kept visiting with his girlfriend during the production and he was somewhat of an armrest hog; I ended up leaning against the other side of my seat for the entire show!

Nonetheless, this was a great evening! I loved the show and would definitely want to see it again! It may have been a story about a “tale as old as time”, but it was presented in such a stylish, fresh and original manner!

No comments:

Post a Comment