Well, it’s time once again for me to do a blog post series about movies, specifically holiday-themed movies. Christmas is a big holiday, so it’s only natural that there would be like a gazillion Christmas-themed movies out there! In my family we have a tradition of counting down until the big day by watching a Christmas movie or special every night; in the beginning we counted down the 12 days until Christmas, but then the movie collection continued to grow and expand, and consequently the days had to be extended. At one point we had to start our countdown BEFORE Thanksgiving! Now we’ve worked on trimming the list down (retiring some movies or alternating a few year by year), although we’ve still got a month’s worth of movies/specials to watch!
Anyway, I’ll be doing a brief (I promise) post each week about some of the Christmas movies I’ve watched.
We’re No Angels (1955)
* This is a great, lesser-known Christmas movie about three escaped convicts (led by Humphrey Bogart) hiding out on Devil’s Island on Christmas Day 1895. These three convicts initially plan to rob the local store, but after meeting the owner and his wife and daughter they end up helping the family.
Together Again For The First Time (2008)
* My mom was the one who first discovered this Made-For-TV movie; she watched it, loved it and subsequently bought the DVD. This is a charming, funny and touching movie about a dysfunctional family that begrudgingly gathers together for Christmas, facing complicated, sometimes embarrassing situations.
Home Alone (1990)
* I remember seeing this movie in the theater 20 years ago (Holy Eggnog! Has it really been that long?!) and how well it did at the box office (which was a surprise for a family comedy). It’s a definite favorite of mine and the family, and one that I always can’t wait to watch!
Home Alone 2: Lost In New York (1992)

* There is a theory that some sequels are better than the original; there’s The Empire Strikes Back, Aliens, Spider-Man 2...and Home Alone 2. I love the first one, but I really love this one! Cool locations, new characters (played by some fantastic actors, like Tim Curry) and more plot!



No comments:
Post a Comment