Sunday, December 5, 2010

Grandma Margaret Anhder: When Shadows Fall

Day 185

A beautiful picture of my grandma


Today commemorates the birthday of my beloved grandmother, Margaret Maughan Anhder (my mother’s mother). I have so many wonderful memories of her and would like to share some of them in today’s post.

Me, with Grandma and a newborn Josh

* When my family and I lived in Orem, Utah we would often take a trip to Richmond, Utah to visit Grandpa and Grandma Anhder. It was just a two hour drive, so we would visit often. Grandma Anhder was always so happy to see us, so cheerful and welcoming to her grand kids. During our visits Grandma Anhder would let us play with toys and games, and sometimes she would even play with us.

* Grandma Anhder loved music and would often break into song, singing a couple of verses of a “golden oldie.” I loved to hear her sing, even when I didn’t recognize the song. As I grew older I began to listen to more songs from this genre, from the big band era, and I ended up loving the music!

* Grandma Anhder had such a cute little laugh, a laugh that would always make me smile or even laugh. I loved it whenever she would share a funny story or joke and then start laughing. I remember her laugh to this day and just thinking about it makes me smile!

* Grandma Anhder had the most beautiful, most amazing flower garden in her backyard. Whenever my family paid a visit, all of us kids would love to go outside and play. It was a special treat that we were allowed to play in the backyard, considering just how precious and beautiful the entire landscape was. I loved being able to just take a walk around the yard, looking at the gorgeous flowers - in my imagination I was going off into another place, like a magical realm.


* Grandma Anhder always remember her grandchildren’s birthdays and she would send us cards with money enclosed. It was always an exciting and gratifying experience to get money inside the card, although I must confess that as I got older I would sometimes shake the money out of the card before actually reading it.


* Speaking of sending things in the mail, Grandma Anhder also wrote many letters to my family, and when I had my accident she sent me many letters of encouragement. They were so touching, so uplifting and helpful. She would testify of her love of God, her love of Jesus Christ and her love for me and my family. I enjoyed her letters, but it wasn’t until I was older that I fully began to appreciate this; the fact that she took the time to send me letters. I wish I had been more appreciative!

* Grandma Anhder was full of many talents, including sewing and crocheting. She made baby blankets for so many of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She made all sorts of things. I remember that for Christmas one year she made these little reindeer heads and when you would squeeze the sides the mouth would open and inside was a little Hershey’s kiss.

Grandma Anhder passed away on December 19th 2004, just five months after her husband died. The funeral was so beautiful, so peaceful, so warm and tender. During the services a friend of the family performed one of Grandma’s favorite songs, called “Home (When Shadows Fall)” - this has become a favorite song of mine and I will always think of her whenever I hear this song.


Grandma Anhder, I love you so much and miss you! But I have a testimony that you are with all of your loved ones again, like Grandpa, and your daughter Karren, and you are happier than you have ever been. And we will all be reunited again in the eternities.

With all my love,

Your grandson,
Jeremy

1 comment: