Here it is, the last of the Christmas movies (finally, right?!) I’ve saved some of the best for last:
All I Want For Christmas (1991)
* It’s fitting that I mention this movie now, as the great Leslie Nielsen (he portrays Santa Claus in this) recently passed away. This is a great family-friendly movie about two kids who plot to get their divorced parents back together at Christmas. Naturally, there are many hilarious complications, but since this is a Christmas movie it is inevitable that things will work out in the end!
The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)
* There are so many different versions of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, so it is interesting that my favorite version features…The Muppets! But don’t be fooled that this is some silly, kiddie movie because it is quite deep and moving. Michael Caine is first-rate as Ebenezer Scrooge, and there are several beautiful, memorable songs performed throughout the movie!
White Christmas (1954)
* What Christmas would be complete without Bing Crosby and the classic tune “White Christmas”? This is one of my favorite musicals and has a very talented cast: Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen. Beautifully executed dance numbers, songs and romance - a perfect holiday musical!
A Very Brady Christmas (1988)
* I’ve already mentioned in a prior post that I am a Brady Bunch “junkie” - so it makes sense that this Christmas TV movie would become a holiday staple for me! Anyway, the Brady family is back and bigger than ever! There’s comedy, drama, a near tragedy and a Christmas miracle…and the Brady family sings “O Come All Ye Faithful” (NOTE: this isn’t the aforementioned tragedy!)
A Christmas Story (1983)
* This is one of those movies that I love to quote lines from, because this was such a well-written movie. This is one of those movies that my entire family (even my dad) enjoys watching every year. There is something for everyone! The story concerns a young boy (played to perfection by Peter Billingsley) and his quest for the ultimate Christmas gift: a Red Ryder BB Gun. There are so many funny scenes in this movie and has an exceptional cast!
Miracle On 34th Street (1947)
* Forget the 1994 remake (I surely have!) because this is THE only version to watch! I mean, it won Oscars for Best Screenplay and Best Story! Hello?! Edmund Gwenn is fantastic and won a well-deserved Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his performance as Kris Kringle. And then you have Natalie Wood perfectly cast as a little girl who refuses to believe in Santa Claus until she meets Kris Kringle!
It’s A Wonderful Life (1946)
* I remember years and years ago when this movie seemed to be shown on every TV station at every hour of the day! Some would call that overkill, but in my opinion you can’t watch this movie too many times! This is THE Christmas movie! James Stewart gives such an amazing performance, a perfect blend of comical moments and powerful drama; he is equally matched by Donna Reed (as his wife). Actually, the entire cast is brilliant and the movie itself is perfect!







Awesome movies! You truly did save the best for last!
ReplyDelete