Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Grandpa Theron Anhder: A Tribute To A Teacher

Day 334


Today commemorates the birthday of my beloved grandfather, Theron Anhder (my mother’s father). I have many great memories of Grandpa Anhder that I would like to share today:

* I’ve mentioned in a previous post that me and my family would often visit Grandpa and Grandma Anhder’s house; these visits were so much fun. Grandpa loved to show his various mementos with us, sharing the stories behind his photos, keepsakes, etc. I wish I had been more invested in understanding and appreciating the history that was presented to me, but as an immature child I failed to really grasp the value of the whole experience. But there was something I gleaned from him - the importance of keeping a family history, of keeping a journal and a personal record and a book of remembrance. He did teach me that!

* Grandpa Anhder had a long career in the teaching profession, and one of the classes he taught was Driver’s Education. I certainly wish I had had him as a driving instructor, as my own experience (I took Driver’s Ed in Rigby, Idaho when I was 14), was a rather unpleasant experience, and I’m sure Grandpa Anhder would have successfully taught me to drive a stick shift!

* Grandpa Anhder has quite an impressive military history: He served in the 6th Army, 130th Infantry, 33rd Division, 138th AAA Brigade during WWII; he also served in the 7th Armored Division, Far East Command in the Korean War; and from 1966 to 1976 (during the Vietnam War) Grandpa Anhder served as an Appeal Board Member of The Selective Service Commission.

* Grandpa Anhder had a strong affinity for birds and would often watch them from his backyard. He had several books on birds and had a pair of binoculars. I remember that he used to keep a record of the various birds he would see. As a special treat he would allow me and my siblings to use these very special binoculars. I remember that I was more interested in using the binoculars to see as far away as possible, rather than using them for the original purpose of bird-watching.

Grandpa in his overalls, holding Jordan,
along with Dad, me and Josh

* Grandpa Anhder seemed to always wear a pair of gray-colored overalls. I remember that I enjoyed seeing him this way, because he seemed so comfortable, so relaxed, and as a result he seemed approachable, friendly, warm and inviting.


* Grandpa Anhder had many important callings in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: Elders Quorum president; High Councilman; Bishopric counselor; Bishop of the Richmond 3rd Ward; Officiator in the Logan LDS Temple.

* Grandpa Anhder had a very extensive, impressive music collection; if he were still alive today I would have loved to introduce him to iTunes and I’m sure he would have been amazed at the vast music library that is available. As a kid I didn’t appreciate the types of music he enjoyed (such as The Mills Brothers), but later on in life my musical tastes changed and I have grown fond of some of his favorite music. I would love to be able to talk with him about the music and see what we would have in common now.

This was on the cover of the program for
Grandpa Anhder's funeral -
he was an avid fisherman

Grandpa Anhder passed away on July 3rd 2004; the funeral was so honorable, distinguished, as he was given a military burial, complete with a musical performance of “Taps” (on bagpipes) and the presentation of the American flag to Grandma Anhder. It was a touching tribute to such an amazing man.

Grandpa holding his grandchildren, Matt, Kati Jo and me

Grandpa,

I am glad for the time I had with you on this earth, although I realize I should have been more appreciative. There was a great deal I could have learned from you, if I had been intelligent enough to ask you. I know that you are reunited with your wife, Margaret, and your daughter Karren, along with so many of your family members and loved ones. I love you, admire you and respect you.
Love,

Your grandson,
Jeremy

3 comments:

  1. Jeremy,
    Thank you so much for the well wrote and thought out tribute to Dad. I sure miss him, I am so glad someone else will write things down for the future. You are special and I have really enjoyed your Blogs
    I love you
    Aunt Margo

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME post and tribute to a wonderful man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was fantastic! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete