Monday, May 30, 2011

“You Must Remember This”

Day 361

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!! Today is a tribute to those who have given their life in serving our country, in securing our freedoms, in protecting others. But this is also a day to remember any loved ones who have passed on. And it is certainly important to remember them, to honor them, to revere them.

However, as I write this, I feel that it is equally important to remember our loved ones who are still with us. After all, it is easy to remember those people who are no longer with us, and it’s easy to appreciate them after the fact; but we’re less inclined to take a moment and remember those people still in our lives, the people we see on a daily basis, or the people we hear from on a regular basis.

Casey and Catalina look on as Matteah opens another present


Matteah got five $1 bills from Grandpa and Grandma Case!


Jaimee and Matteah with the delicious birthday cake!

I thought of this last night when I went to my niece Matteah’s birthday party. Her parents hosted a very fun, memorable birthday party. And while there, I tried to take a lot of pictures of my nieces and nephews; unfortunately, not all of them could be present (you were missed Savannah and Myra, as well as Josh, Erin, and Dad), but I made certain to get photos with those who were there last night!

Uncle Jeremy with Catalina, Casey and Matteah
(I love this photo of us - I just wish all of my nieces and
nephews could have been together at the same time!)

The "Natural" Look - me with Brooklyn, Casey and Cat!


Josh Jr. and me - nice color coordination!

I wanted to be able to always remember times like these, special moments with my family, specifically with my nieces and nephews. They will all grow up so fast, and with each passing year they will change so much. While I have no idea what it is like to be a parent, I do know what it is like to watch a little child grow up. I saw it with my siblings and I am seeing it now with my nieces and nephews.

I do take it for granted that I can see my family any time I want. If any of us lived away from here I don’t know how I would handle that, or if I could even handle it. And that has made me remember just how blessed I am to be living in the same city as my immediate family. How rare is that? And the fact that I am able to see my nieces and nephews on a regular basis is another blessing. I may not remember this all of the time, but I remembered it last night at the party, and I am remembering now as I write this post.

2 comments: