Monday, May 23, 2011

Movie Review Monday: Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Day 354


On Saturday night I saw another “summer movie” - Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. I was very psyched about seeing this movie, as I was a big fan of the previous trilogy (although I thought the 1st of the series was the best). I had high hopes for this fourth installment and I was not disappointed!

Johnny Depp returns as Captain Jack Sparrow, and once again he is just amazing. Depp Is Jack Sparrow. He takes on the role in such a way that he completely disappears behind the dreadlocked hair, the gold teeth, the heavy mascara and the pirate hat, and becomes this memorable character! In this movie Jack Sparrow is front and center, the main character (as he deserves to be), with the plot and other characters built around him.


Captain Jack Sparrow makes an interesting, amusing, surprising entrance at the beginning of the movie and then the movie takes off in a direction full of action, humor, entertainment and even romance. Sparrow finds himself “recruited” by the dreaded, infamous pirate Blackbeard (played by Ian McShane) to help find the location of the famous Fountain Of Youth. But there are others also on the quest, including Captain Barbossa (played once again by Geoffrey Rush) - who has settled into respectable service for the King of England, and now has a peg leg (thanks to a horrible encounter with Blackbeard).


Sparrow has an interesting reunion with the beautiful and brave Angelica (Penelope Cruz), who just happens to be Blackbeard’s daughter. There is perfect chemistry between Depp and Cruz, as the two have a great swordplay scene and then later a very tender, yet passionate tango. And the chemistry between Depp and Rush is great as well, as they start out as rivals and then become partners in crime, each with a different purpose for finding the Fountain Of Youth.


The movie is full of action, lots of sword fights, battles on ship, not to mention a particularly frightening sequence involving mermaids that are beautiful but also very scary and even deadly - I will not look at The Little Mermaid in the same way ever again! There is also a rekindled romance between Jack Sparrow and Angelica, as well as a new romance between a kind-hearted mermaid and one of Blackbeard’s prisoners. Early in the movie there is a surprise cameo by a certain Oscar-winning actress (I won’t spoil it, but I’ll just hint that this actress is quite a Dame!) that is quite funny! And true to form, there is a nice little scene at the end of the closing credits, so be sure to stick around for it!

Overall, I enjoyed this movie, and felt that it was a big improvement over Pirates…At World’s End. There were a few slow moments during the movie, and it did seem to go on a bit long (it’s running time is 2 hours and 20 minutes), but in the end I thought this was a great movie!

Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is a:
 

A Campfire, almost worthy enough to be a Bonfire

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so we saw it in 3-D and parts of that were totally worth the money ... but overall it was just a pretty good movie.

    I think the length of it made me forget some of the better parts, which occurred at the beginning before the mermaid-heavy ending.

    I did NOT think the late little "ending" was worth sitting through all those credits for, but knowing how that sets up another movie (or movies) was intresting.

    I totally agree with a campfire rating. And especially that the very first Pirates was and still is the BEST ONE!

    ReplyDelete