Day 346
Last Sunday I was released from my current church assignment (or calling, as members of the LDS church call it) as a Sunday school teacher. I taught the 10 and 11 year-olds in the Primary, and this age group is referred to as the Valiant 10 & 11. I’ve taught this group for a few years now. In fact, I’ve spent a lot of time teaching in Sunday school, teaching various age groups.
Two Sundays ago I met with a member of the bishopric and he informed me that I was being released from my calling, and then he extended an offer for a new church assignment, as the 2nd counselor in the Sunday School presidency. I heartily accepted, feeling very excited about this new opportunity. I was particularly thrilled that I would still be serving within the Sunday School.
On Sunday I taught the Valiant 10 & 11 year-old class for the last time, and right beforehand I actually thought I would cry. I didn’t expect to feel this way, but I realized that I have really enjoyed this assignment, and I really love the youth in this class. They are just amazing; so bright, so creative. I don’t remember being this way at their age, so I am quite impressed with this generation.
My class did not know that this would be my last time as their teacher, and they were shocked and dismayed (which made me feel special, even a little conceited!) Then at the end of church my class presented me a homemade card, which they all signed. They had put this together during the last hour of church, and it was so sweet, so thoughtful! I really didn’t expect this!
I am going to miss these awesome 10 and 11 year-olds, and teaching in this capacity. I am glad that I will still be able to see them at church, and I am nervous and anxious about my new assignment!


I didn't realize you had a new calling!! So excited for you- you'll do great! I LOVED the card your class made you, Brother Awesome. My favorite part of it was that they'll miss you... like a lot! Love you, Jem!
ReplyDeleteI love that they call you Brother Awesome!
ReplyDeletePrimary is definitely the best kept secret in the church. I love the Primary and wish I was there. I am subbing for the next couple of weeks so at least I have that.
I have never served in the Sunday School Presidency. I think you'll do excellent (I should say awesome) for it. I look forward to hearing how this calling goes.
How cool Brother Awesome! :)
ReplyDeleteIn my experience as a former Sunday School President, you'll have ample opportunities to TEACH as the Presidency often fills in for those teachers who didn't get subs or just had something come up last minute. You'll do great! Tell Archie (Adam Archibald) I said "Hi!" :)