Tuesday, May 10, 2011

“Shadows In The Moonlight”

Day 341

Another “prom” post…oh joy, right?!


I am actually grateful that I had the opportunity to attend the prom in my Junior and Senior years of high school. I’ve already posted about attending the Windsor High Prom in ‘91. And just over a year later I attended my own high school (Greeley Central) prom, which I attended with my brother Josh and some other friends. Here are some excerpts from my journal entry from that big day:

Saturday May 9th 1992,

4:25 am - The Greeley Central Junior - Senior Prom was a big hit. I had a great time, a blast, yet I am obviously near or on the brink of total knock-out. I am beginning to feel the effects of staying up past midnight. But, I don’t care. I’ve had the time of my life tonight and with so many good friends. The prom schedule went as follows: I went out with Josh and Mom this morning to pick up the corsages, which were beautiful. Then we remained at home for the next several hours. I still had my talk to prepare for tomorrow, but I didn’t exactly get it done (I procrastinated). Before I knew it, it was 5:30 and I needed to get ready…






…We all awaited for the limo to arrive. When it did, I was taken away by its looks, being that I have never seen a real limo up close before. Our dates were all so beautiful and I was taken away by their appearances because I’d never seen them dressed up quite so attractively. After the “photo shoot” we piled into the limo rather tightly and proceeded to make a stop at each individual home for picture taking, and at the last house we had our dinner, consisting of chicken, sparkling ale and Jell-O for dessert…


Me and Bobbie Jo. I have such a stupid grin,
but then again who wouldn't, standing next to
such a beautiful girl!!

…We arrived at the Union Colony Civic Center where the prom was being held. We went in, arm in arm, with our dates. My date, Bobbie Jo, was an absolute vision of beauty and sophistication. After checking in, we scanned our prom surroundings, talked a little, and then went off to find out about pictures. We had planned on getting a group picture, but we changed our minds and split them up according to couples…



…From then on, it was dancing and socializing and what fun that was! I was so grateful to have a date that liked to dance. Well, to sum up the prom I had a blast! The After-Prom party was equally rewarding and fun. I ended up playing some Black Jack in the Casino section. We left at 3:30...

Apparently, I was pretty tired when I wrote this journal entry, because I didn’t go into full details over the evening. But just reading this entry has helped jog my mind of a few more memories:

My date, Bobbie Jo, was the cousin of one of my friends, and she lived in Denver. I liked bringing someone to prom who didn’t attend Greeley Central - I felt like I was bringing a special guest. And she was very beautiful and sweet to me.

I remember that at the prom one of the songs we danced to was Eric Clapton’sTears In Heaven” - a haunting, touching song. We also danced to the song that was the prom theme: Anne Murray’sShadows In The Moonlight.” Now, I like the song and all, but it was an interesting choice for a prom theme and song because it was an older song. But it was definitely not as long of a song as “Stairway To Heaven!

I also remember how much fun the After-Prom party was; me, Josh, and our dates and friends stayed there for several hours, playing various games. Unfortunately, it was so late when Josh and I came home and I had to get up for church just a few hours later. I was giving a talk in Sacrament meeting - that Sunday just happened to be Mother’s Day, so my topic was on mothers. I don’t know how I pulled it together and gave a talk on only 3 hours of sleep, but I somehow managed to do it!

This picture was used in the high school yearbook!!
Pretty cool!!

Prom was an awesome experience! Renting a tux, riding in a limo, presenting a corsage to a date, posing for pictures, sharing several dances on the dance floor, seeing so many friends in tuxedos and formals - it’s something I’m glad I experienced!

2 comments:

  1. I agree that taking someone that doesn't go to your school would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I forgot about that yearbook photo of the two of us. I loved that picture because I thought I looked "so cool" and WAS so cool because I got to go to the prom as a SOPHOMORE. That night sure was a lot of fun! Thanks for letting me tag along!

    ReplyDelete