Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sons And Mothers

Day 339


Today is Mother’s Day (and Happy Mother’s Day to all moms out there!) and for this special day I would like to do a post about my mother, Julie Anhder Case.

I am not ashamed to admit that I am a “mama’s boy” - I do have a good, strong relationship with my mom. I have a lot in common with her, I love spending time with her, and if that makes me a “mama’s boy” then so be it.

Mom and me

We’ve always had a close relationship; we’ve shared many experiences together: some have been good, some have been traumatic, but we have a unique understanding of those experiences, and I am certain that is one of the many reasons why we are so close. She’s been so supportive of me during some very difficult times in my life.

* Mom and I love the same kinds of music, and that is due to the fact that it was Mom who introduced me to music. When I was growing up she always had music playing around the house and I enjoyed it. I’m grateful that I was exposed to such an eclectic collection of music. She introduced me to pop, rock, country, jazz, classical - I listened to them all and enjoyed all of these music genres, at varying degrees. Mom taught me so much about music, about how it can affect your mood, how it can help relax you or inspire you. To this day I listen to music to pep me up or to help me when I’m trying to be creative. In fact, I’m listening to music right now, and it is helping me write this post!

Me and Mom, at the movies - 2009

* Speaking of introductions, Mom was the one who introduced me to classic movies. She was the one who paved the way for my love of the movies, specifically the movies of the bygone eras. She was the one who got me to watch movies like Singin’ In The Rain, North By Northwest, An Affair To Remember, plus the movies of Doris Day, Cary Grant, etc. I am so glad that Mom got me interested in these movies at a young age, an impressionable age, because I probably wouldn’t have given these movies a chance at an older age.

Me and Mom - 2005

* In the post I wrote on my mom’s birthday, I mentioned her awesome, witty sense of humor, and me and my siblings were able to pick up on it, nurture it and develop it. True, sometimes it seems like we’re the only ones in on the joke, but I like the fact that we have this personalized sense of humor. And Mom has taught me the importance of laughter, of humor. She can be very self-deprecating, which sometimes bothers me because I don’t like her (or anyone else I love) being so hard on themselves, but I can see the value in not taking one’s self too seriously. If you can laugh at yourself you can be more humble, more teachable, more grounded.

Mom and me at her parents' house

This only begins to scratch the surface, and I could go on and on, but for now I just want to express my love and appreciation for my mom; my friend; my teacher; my role model; my advocate; my support.

Mom, I love you so much and thank you for
everything you’ve given me, including life itself!


HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!!!

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post about our awesome Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post about mom and I love that you tagged it 'warped sense of humor' :) Love you Jem!

    ReplyDelete