Quick question: does anyone know how this day came about? Who decided to make April 1st “April Fool’s Day”? Is there any significance for this “holiday”? Is it even a holiday?
I am not going to do a stupid prank or joke on my blog today and I’m not going to wax poetic about past experiences with pranks and jokes, because I guess I’m the Ebenezer Scrooge when it comes to this day! Bah humbug! I just don’t get this day, and even growing up I didn’t have the same enthusiasm as other kids did about this day.
Anyway, I do want to acknowledge this day, but in my own way, with my own theme. I am going to post about my favorite “fool” movie and favorite “fool” song. First, here's the movie:
Ship of Fools (1965)
I love this big, ensemble-type movie, which is full of characters, intersecting storylines, all taking place in one location. The acting is superb, the screenplay is moving and overall this is a great drama, which was nominated for 8 Academy Awards, including Best Picture.
The movie takes place in 1933, as a large ship leaves from Mexico to Germany. Occupants of the ship include: a doctor with a serious heart condition who becomes romantically involved with an exiled contessa; two young American painters facing a crossroad in their relationship; a middle-aged Southern divorcee facing a life alone; a crass and vulgar baseball player; a German man espousing the edicts of the up-and-coming Nazi party; a kind Jewish salesman; and a charming little person (referred to as a dwarf - these were politically incorrect times).
“What A Fool Believes” by The Doobie Brothers
I am a huge fan of The Doobie Brothers, having listened to their music since I was very little. I remember that my mom often played their music around the house. This particular song, from 1979, is one of my all-time favorite songs. It was written by Kenny Loggins and lead singer Michael McDonald. The song earned the Grammy Award for Song of the Year and Record of the Year.
Here are some of the lyrics:
She had a place in his life
He never made her think twice
As he rises to her apology
Anybody else would surely know
He’s watching her go
But what a fool believes…he sees
No wise man has the power to reason away
What seems…to be
Is always better than nothing
There’s nothing at all
Well, I guess I can say HAPPY APRIL FOOL’S DAY to all of the fools out there, which includes me!





Have never seen that movie, but now I really feel the urge to do so.
ReplyDeleteLOVE that song! Has to be my favorite Doobie Brothers song (followed closely by "Minute By Minute") but I had no idea it won song of the year. That makes me love it even more!
Oh ... and I'll "Bah Humbug!" with ya ... but I do enjoy a good April Fool's joke (as long as no one gets hurt and the clean-up is easy).